Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how to manage a mud pond

how to manage a mud pond

I'm probably going to dabble with breeding... most people probably wait until they know more before doing it... I don't feel like waiting

I read a thread where sunny mentioned renting a mud pond. .. great idea.
    I'd love some advice on how working with a mud pond works. .. reference material will be nice.

Go for it, Joe! I think breeding is the best way to learn about koi but be responsible with strict culling policy. I still don't have any mud pond to dabble with yet...maybe someday in my golden years with more time. :-) I know nothing about mud ponds other than the most challenging thing you will face is keeping the predators out of the pond. If you are renting an existing pond, you will likely have to drain it and let it dry to wipe out all potential predators then refill water within a few weeks of releasing your fry. The purpose is to kill all threats to your fish including dragonfly nymphs which are carnivorous and love to snack on your fry. :-)

Good luck!
    Sunny

I've managed a mud pond for six years but not for spawning or raising fry. My first step after finding a pond would be to drain and remove all the other fish. Lime the mud during a dry season so it can bake & soak in the mud. You will need to find a pond that will refill or can be refilled. You'll have to ask questions as I could go on and on. Here are a couple photos of last weekends Ikeage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how to manage a mud pond-img_9228-1.jpg   how to manage a mud pond-dsc08244.jpg   how to manage a mud pond-dsc08264.jpg   how to manage a mud pond-dsc08281.jpg  
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.

I have seen Japanese breeders spreading the lime in their mud ponds. What is the purpose of the lime, Troy? Is it to kill parasites?

Thanks,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    I've managed a mud pond for six years but not for spawning or raising fry. My first step after finding a pond would be to drain and remove all the other fish. Lime the mud during a dry season so it can bake & soak in the mud. You will need to find a pond that will refill or can be refilled. You'll have to ask questions as I could go on and on. Here are a couple photos of last weekends Ikeage.
    Thanks.. that gives me a start
    sounds like almost a one year prep for mud ponds
    I most likely will use it as a grow out pond for tosai as well. I can picture buying a handful of tosai in the spring and after quarantine, taking them straight to the mud..
    how big does a pond need to be to not need filtration? Even with a low stocking density.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    I have seen Japanese breeders spreading the lime in their mud ponds. What is the purpose of the lime, Troy? Is it to kill parasites?

Thanks,
    Sunny
    Treats the mud to help kill of bacterial, I don't believe it does much for parasites as most Koi will come out with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    Thanks.. that gives me a start
    sounds like almost a one year prep for mud ponds
    I most likely will use it as a grow out pond for tosai as well. I can picture buying a handful of tosai in the spring and after quarantine, taking them straight to the mud..
    how big does a pond need to be to not need filtration? Even with a low stocking density.
    If the Koi you are putting in are newly purchased Tosai, what's the reason you'll QT ?

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE
    7f the Koi you are putting in are newly purchased Tosai, what's the reason you'll QT ?
    To be able to treat anything needing treated and/or that can be passed on to new fish put in the mud afterwards.... just seems like common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    To be able to treat anything needing treated and/or that can be passed on to new fish put in the mud afterwards.... just seems like common sense
    I can only think of one thing (KHV) that I'd be worried about going in. If they don't have bugs going in they will when coming out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast