Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on a 13" showa

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    When I take a pic of my kohaku, the pictures make the beni look more contiguous, hardly showing the hoshi. This makes the koi look more finished, when it's really not. I don't know if an SLR in the hands of a betterr photographer would capture the koi in a more true-to-life light, or whether it's the limitation of the camera optics or of our viewing screens.

The color gamut of real life cannot be matched by any camera nor by viewing screens, this is something we have implicitly, if not explicitly, know and accept. But our eyes adjust to depiction of color easily, in relative terms. A beni may not be as saturated in our screen as in real life, but it's acceptable for us. What matters more is the contrast.

If the hoshi is not distinguishable from the background beni in a beni step, when viewed thru our screens, we can see it as one solid beni and draw conclusions that may not be accurate. Which is why it's right not to trust pictures so much. We could say a beni is finished, or we could say the koi is male. And that's why I appreciate Mike's not being sure of anything that has to do with pictures dealing with beni:-)
    A koi that shows no hoshi does not necessarily mean the koi looked more finished.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    A koi that shows no hoshi does not necessarily mean the koi looked more finished.
    It does look more finished than a koi with hoshi, even though it may not be finished. Is that what you mean?

It does look more finished than a koi with hoshi, even though it may not be finished. Is that what you mean?
    One has to differentiate that not all gosanke would go thru a hoshi phase and these koi are not at all finish or should be considered finish. A finish look would be where the sashi and kiwa have contracted already.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    One has to differentiate that not all gosanke would go thru a hoshi phase and these koi are not at all finish or should be considered finish. A finish look would be where the sashi and kiwa have contracted already.
    Well and clearly stated. However, my example refers to a koi with hoshi that isn't accurately portrayed in a picture.

If a picture fails to clearly portray the contrast in a beni patch such that the hoshi is indistinguishable, and simply shows a homogenous patch of saturated beni, can one be led to think that the koi is closer to finishing than it really is?

Well and clearly stated. However, my example refers to a koi with hoshi that isn't accurately portrayed in a picture.

If a picture fails to clearly portray the contrast in a beni patch such that the hoshi is indistinguishable, and simply shows a homogenous patch of saturated beni, can one be led to think that the koi is closer to finishing than it really is?
    To me the look would be more higher quality skin. Its like a type 1 fukurin that got promoted to a type 2 fukurin which commands a higher price range.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123