Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the breeder?

Who's the breeder?

Let's play guess the breeder. For those that have seen my pics on another forum, please refrain from answering. Or if you know because you know my breeder preference, please refrain form answering. This is a guess based on picture characteristics. As a bonus you can describe why you chose that breeder. Thanks!

This year's tosai... 8-9" upon receiving. I got two Kohaku and one Showa from same breeder.

Who's the breeder?-391.jpgWho's the breeder?-394.jpgWho's the breeder?-390.jpgWho's the breeder?-384.jpgWho's the breeder?-396.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    For those that have seen my pics on another forum, please refrain from answering.
    There are other koi forums?? I could be way off base but I'm thinking Purdin or some other American breeder(except Quality Koi).
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I do not recall seeing these photos, but I've read your posts on another forum talking about the koi. So, I'll not guess.

If I had not seen posts elsewhere, I would not have a guess about the breeder of the Kohaku. Good looking little Kohaku. The Showa, however is a bit more telling. It has a different look from the Showa produced by Quality Koi (Nisei Koi Farm), so I do agree with Jim on that.

Jim and Mike are good. Yes, these koi are from Purdin Koi Farm. I've gotten koi form them for the past three years and really have enjoyed them. At the recent harvest I selected two koi for purchase, a showa and a kohaku. On Sunday, when it was Bill and myself, I asked Bill to select a koi within a certain price range (I reserved half of my money for Bill's selection- meaning the other two were each half as much.) Bill selected two koi to choose from and I chose what I liked. Bill said he picked that one as well (and I believe him as we have a great relationship, so it wasn't to make me feel good). I am thrilled with his selection and look forward to seeing the differences in his choice and my choice.

Here are the two kohaku, my selection on left and Bill's on right.

Who's the breeder?-390.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Here are the two kohaku, my selection on left and Bill's on right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	390.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	38846
    So, the Koi on the right cost twice as much?

Sansai
    According to what he said.....Bills selection was 50% of his total spent. the other two were 25% each... SO I would assume so? lol -Mike

For the U.S. hobbyist looking for tosai or nisai gosanke priced below, say, $1,000, those available from the leading U.S. breeders will fully meet the buyer's goals and provide sufficient selection so that pattern preferences and such can be satisfied. At higher pricing levels, koi are available but the volume is necessarily limited, so personal preferences are not so readily met.

I think these two Kohaku are examples. If they were touted as coming from Hoshikin or Torazo, I could not say otherwise. Nobody should be surprised anymore by the quality being produced by leading U.S. breeders like Purdin.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    So, the Koi on the right cost twice as much?
    Yes, the Kohaku on right was $400 and the one on left was $200 (and the Showa was $200).

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    According to what he said.....Bills selection was 50% of his total spent. the other two were 25% each... SO I would assume so? lol -Mike
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    For the U.S. hobbyist looking for tosai or nisai gosanke priced below, say, $1,000, those available from the leading U.S. breeders will fully meet the buyer's goals and provide sufficient selection so that pattern preferences and such can be satisfied. At higher pricing levels, koi are available but the volume is necessarily limited, so personal preferences are not so readily met.

I think these two Kohaku are examples. If they were touted as coming from Hoshikin or Torazo, I could not say otherwise. Nobody should be surprised anymore by the quality being produced by leading U.S. breeders like Purdin.
    Thank you Mike. I really enjoy Purdin's Gosanke. And you're right, at my buying level I am totally satisfied. For me and my comfort level, it works. Good point!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast