Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sakura

Sakura

The Central Florida Koi Show 2014 plans to replace the GCB award with three new Grand Awards. CFKS will follow the recent break out of AJKS 2012 of Sakura (Best in Variety) into three sub-groups: Sakura, Tsubaki and Botan with three grand awards. I don’t remember if the plan was to have a Grand Overall Sakura as well (GCB). Since I really didn’t know what this meant I gleaned this from the internet and looking at Nichirin (I think):

Kokugyu is best in size and Sakura is best in variety.

Sakura: Goshiki, Kujaku, Ginrin A, Ginrin B and Kawarigoi.

Tsubaki: Tancho, Goromo, Doitsugoi, Hikari Moyo and Kumonryu.

Botan: Asagi, Shusui, Bekko, Hikari Muji, Hikari Utsuri and Hi/Ki Utsuri.

cherry blossum, camillia, peony

Because the judging classes have been set up a bit differently at CFKS and are not being changed, the groupings for the three awards are going to be different from the Shinkokai groupings:

Sakura Champion: Best in GinRin A, GinRin B, Goshiki/Goromo, Kawarigoi

Tsubaki Champion: Best in Tancho, Hikarimoyo, Hikari Utsuri, Doitsu

Botan Champion: Best in Asagi/Shusui, Hikarimuji, Hi/Ki Utsuri, Bekko

There will not be a Grand Champion B award.

The idea behind this innovation is to encourage entry of non-gosanke and thereby entertain the crowd. Kichi love the gosanke (and Shiro Utsuri). The public wants to see all of the more unusual varieties as well.

Are you switching to BU as well?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I don't think the show registrar is ready for that quite yet. Maybe in the future.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    Are you switching to BU as well?
    Do you have the cm's for each BU class? I've always wondered how they work compared to our size ranges.

While I wasn't at the meeting, I did hear the Screaming from MikeM all the way up here in KY.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
    Do you have the call me's for each BU class? I've always wondered how they work compared to our size ranges.
    I think this table I made for our club might help you. Its very close to the US system.

Sakura-bu.jpg
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sorry for the rant, but this is how I feel...

I occassionally think that American Koi Shows just don't get what they are doing. This constant 'shove it down your throat' mentallity of assigning Japanese terminology and culture to American Shows is actually divisive. The change in the Central Show is just another example. I mean why? Why use Japanese language at an American show? Even Rob himself admits to not knowing the terms and had to look it up on net. Is this really good for the American Koi show? No, it's not. In fact it does nothing but confuse and add mystique to an already daunting hobby. And we expect viewers to get this? And we expect to draw in more folks to our hobby? And we expect Americans to be treated as equals, yet we refuse to accept our own verbage and culture? Why have CM and BU? It does nothing. In no way, shape or form does having BU instead of IN have anything to do with the hobby or shows. So why even use it? I understand that there is koi terminology that has no English equivilent- sashi, kiwa, boke, muji, and all those are Japanese terms and they actually mean something that is difficult to translate into English. I get that. But BU? That is a measurement, plain and simple. So why not use inches? We do have measurements here in the States ya know. Let me know the next time you hear anybody use BU other than for koi. Not gonna happen- ever! So now we are forced to use a language that we all do not understand. It is exclusive and not inclusive.

I feel that folks do this to try to be 'everything Japanese'. There is no other reason to do this. There is no valid reason to use Japanese terminology for a term that can be prefectly understood in English. All it does is further enlarge the gap of American Koi Shows setting themselves as distinctly American. Oh, and it allows the user to feel like they are superior in their intellect and knowledge... and how proudly they can pronounce and use such unique terminology. So now a show in Florida is using terms that very few understand. And this is good for the American Koi Hobby?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast