Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CuFt cermedia vs 50 ltrs kaldness

CuFt cermedia vs 50 ltrs kaldness

In the continuous persuit of perfection, I'm adding some more bio. I'm wondering which will give me the best results, cermedia or k1. I'm adding a couple s&g filters and will either be adding an additional cubic foot of cermedia to my shower or make a 55gallon fluid bed using 50 ltrs of kaldness. Looking for opinions of which would give me more bang for my buck. They cost roughly the same.

MCA
    Cermedia, like most porous ceramic media, has lots or surface area per cubic foot compare to a hard plastic like K1. My experience tells me no fluid bed comes close to a good shower in aeration, gas exchange, and ammonia-nitirite-nitrate conversion. I got rid of Nexus units I had for close to 10 years to concentrate on a good bakki shower with BHM as the main filtration engine. Very glad I did.

Nicely said MCA, nicely said....

Seems the consensus amongst those wiser than myself is to opt for an expansion of my shower.
    As it is, my shower is fed by a 10,500gph pump coming off a retro BD. It has @ 2' matala on top for mechanical filtration. Underneath the top tote of matala I have 20 small fiberglass trays stacked side by side, 10 high.I have 20lbs lava on top of 20kilos bacteria house on top of one cubic foot of cermedia. I can either get two cubic feet of cermedia or 30kilos of bacteria house for my budget of @ $300.00. Which would you choose?

Sansai
    My question is in the colder months....... wouldn't it be wiser to use a moving bed with kaldness for the bio conversion, then as it got warmer use the bakki style shower for maybe 6 months of the 12 month year? I live in Utah and my shower months are at most 7 months of the year, but I still would like to keep a bio filter running like early march till mid April. At this point run the shower till hopefully mid to late Oct. then shut off the shower for the winter till April again. I wished there was a way to run a shower without it chilling the pond. In your case Loco, from all my research and own experience run a shower over a MB anyday.... But maybe you could incorporate one of each? Good topic I love to hear Bito's finest chime in on little things like this. -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    My question is in the colder months....... wouldn't it be wiser to use a moving bed with kaldness for the bio conversion, then as it got warmer use the bakki style shower for maybe 6 months of the 12 month year? I live in Utah and my shower months are at most 7 months of the year, but I still would like to keep a bio filter running like early march till mid April. At this point run the shower till hopefully mid to late Oct. then shut off the shower for the winter till April again. I wished there was a way to run a shower without it chilling the pond. In your case Loco, from all my research and own experience run a shower over a MB anyday.... But maybe you could incorporate one of each? Good topic I love to hear Bito's finest chime in on little things like this. -Mike
    Last winter, I didn't have a shower, but I never had to shut my waterfall down though. We had a very mild winter. I was wondering about putting a curtain of plastic all the way around my shower to help minimize the chill.

I guess a question I should ask is at what water temperature do I need to cut off my shower? There's a chance I can run it year around where I'm at, maybe only shutting it off for days at a time during particularly cold weather. In the winter our weather can fluctuate as much as 40+ degrees in a 24hour period.

MCA
    30kilos of bacteria house

A shower cover is only part of a winter solution. The other part is covering the pond surface and any open filter tanks. I use a heavy duty clear pool cover, heavy duty bubble wrap, on our pond Jan-March. House wrap taped around the shower towers will minimize wind chill in mild climates. In colder climates, you want something insulated

I had a pond cover custom cut to fit the shape of my koi pond. not sure how it happened but wind must have caught an edge and flipped up a portion. I found two fish on top and frozen the next day. Both incredible wrought with potential. One was one of the first 20 ever shipped to america from the kohaku national champion "face of the diamonds". I ended up building an inside facility to have better control. can't say this wasn't a fluke, but felt obligated to share so others might anticipate and consider a better means to anchor then just allowing floatation.
    Dick Benbow

I use a mix of filtration types and media because each has different positives and negatives. In warm climates the shower filter can remain in operation year-round, but where it gets too cold for that, the moving bed kaldnes type of filtration can continue in operation much longer.

As between expanding a shower system with either cermedia or BH, both have similar properties. I would go with the one that I did not already have.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I use a mix of filtration types and media because each has different positives and negatives. In warm climates the shower filter can remain in operation year-round, but where it gets too cold for that, the moving bed kaldnes type of filtration can continue in operation much longer.

As between expanding a shower system with either cermedia or BH, both have similar properties. I would go with the one that I did not already have.
    I have both already, lol. I have 20 kilos of bacteria and one cubic foot of cermedia.

MCA, where do you get your bacteria house from? I got my last stuff from eastern koi, but I saw some on ebay yhat looked a bit different, but was twice as expensive. I think I've decided to just get both, aubic foot of cermedia and 10 more kilos of bacteria house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast