Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction

  1. #11
    Jumbo Appliance Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    754
    The changing face of Showa. Breaking the rules- no sumi on head/face (ok a tad on right eye...), no motoguro (I know, not a rule, BUT), and I wouldn't call this a powerful body (not weak either, but not powerful). Yes folks- this is black based koi. Keep only the black fry. So here we have the modern Showa, or 'kindai' Showa. Kinda neat to be in the middle of change, don't ya think!


  2. #12
    Oyagoi HEADACHE6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,112
    I haven't had the time to view all the Koi, but I find it hard to believe that there's another with this Frame. I'd double check to make sure the tail isn't twisted, but other then that, DAMN !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-076_54cm_hoo_female_3.jpg  

  3. #13
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    The changing face of Showa. Breaking the rules- no sumi on head/face (ok a tad on right eye...), no motoguro (I know, not a rule, BUT), and I wouldn't call this a powerful body (not weak either, but not powerful). Yes folks- this is black based koi. Keep only the black fry. So here we have the modern Showa, or 'kindai' Showa. Kinda neat to be in the middle of change, don't ya think!
    I kind of like this one.



    Not my pick for If money was not an issue, which one?

  4. #14
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Mike, can I interest you in this one? Seems like Gachami is little more your style...


    The red eye is unfortunate. But, yes, I'll take her. Please ship for Friday arrival.

    Showa are changing. There were some at the Momotaro auction from the Shiro Showa/Mako Showa line with bodies very unlike traditional Showa. We are seeing more at Dainichi. So far, the judging community has accepted this movement toward bodies more like Kohaku and Sanke. Some see it as a trait that comes with improved pigments, but remain advocates of the more traditional broad-shouldered Showa. Others see the streamlining of the body to be an advance in itself. Either way, there is no doubt that overall Showa are making huge strides.

  5. #15
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    I haven't had the time to view all the Koi, but I find it hard to believe that there's another with this Frame. I'd double check to make sure the tail isn't twisted, but other then that, DAMN !
    And a grand pattern, too.

    I'd love to spend a few hours having Shigeru explain why the 3-star Showa did not get a fourth star. Photos do not show enough.

  6. #16
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    I haven't had the time to view all the Koi, but I find it hard to believe that there's another with this Frame. I'd double check to make sure the tail isn't twisted, but other then that, DAMN !
    That one is a nice Showa, the twisted tail did strike when I first saw it.....I bet you all the dealers will be confirming that for their customers during the auction....

  7. #17
    Jumbo Akai-San's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The red eye is unfortunate. But, yes, I'll take her. Please ship for Friday arrival.

    Showa are changing. There were some at the Momotaro auction from the Shiro Showa/Mako Showa line with bodies very unlike traditional Showa. We are seeing more at Dainichi. So far, the judging community has accepted this movement toward bodies more like Kohaku and Sanke. Some see it as a trait that comes with improved pigments, but remain advocates of the more traditional broad-shouldered Showa. Others see the streamlining of the body to be an advance in itself. Either way, there is no doubt that overall Showa are making huge strides.
    I'd like to see/learn more about how the bodies have changed over the years. What are traditional Showa, Kohaku and Sanke body types? I'll start a fresh thread and I hope all will share with me so I can study and learn what "I like" in conformation. Would love to see a lot of photos to see the differences, changes, even trends in conformation for different types and or breeders...

  8. #18
    Jumbo Tosai_Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    782
    Too many beautiful fish to narrow down to just 3. Here are my top four. :-)

    Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-076_54cm_hoo_female_3.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-sp11_57cm_gachako_female.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-016_54cm_hige_female_3.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-215_54cm_gachako_female_3.jpg

    #215 made the cut because of it's amazing body conformation, IMHO. Unfortunately, it's shiroji is not as impressive.

    Cheers,
    Sunny

  9. #19
    Jumbo Tosai_Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    782
    Since this is a virtual shopping spree, let me reach into my virtual pocket and indulge myself with another fish...#34. :-) This is the offspring of my favorite Dainichi oyagoi, a former AJNPA Grand Champion. IMHO, this oyagoi has all the characteristics of an ideal showa; a great body with marusome beni and sumi on a porcelain white ground. Comparing #34 to it's mother(Sakura), everything looks almost identical except for the body; it appears to be a little weaker than Sakura. One other characteristic that I like in Sakura that's not obvious on this fish is the marusome beni and sumi. Coach(Dick Benbow) alluded to this subject in another thread that "...marusome meaning both beni and sumi color fill the scale upon completion or finish". I hope someone can help me/us understand what to look for in this fish to see whether those two charateristics have been passed down from Sakura or not.

    Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-sakura.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-034_56cm_sakura_female_3.jpg

    Cheers,
    Sunny

  10. #20
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Duc reports on another board that Special #01 got the highest bid:


    "Congrats to Dainichi Koi Farm for a record auction price today at their 5th auction. Narita Koi obtained this special specimen for 21.5 million ¥ or 211K USD.

    Look forward to seeing this koi at the All Japan Young Koi Show in the spring. "

    Mark Gardner has photos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Eye Candy 2016: Niigata Breeders Auction
    By MikeM in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-, 07:35 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2014, 03:24 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM
  4. Niigata Breeder's Auction, more eye candy
    By azngopher in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 08:09 AM
  5. Check out the eye candy...Niigata auction
    By azngopher in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com