Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction

The changing face of Showa. Breaking the rules- no sumi on head/face (ok a tad on right eye...), no motoguro (I know, not a rule, BUT), and I wouldn't call this a powerful body (not weak either, but not powerful). Yes folks- this is black based koi. Keep only the black fry. So here we have the modern Showa, or 'kindai' Showa. Kinda neat to be in the middle of change, don't ya think!

I haven't had the time to view all the Koi, but I find it hard to believe that there's another with this Frame. I'd double check to make sure the tail isn't twisted, but other then that, DAMN !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-076_54cm_hoo_female_3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    The changing face of Showa. Breaking the rules- no sumi on head/face (ok a tad on right eye...), no motoguro (I know, not a rule, BUT), and I wouldn't call this a powerful body (not weak either, but not powerful). Yes folks- this is black based koi. Keep only the black fry. So here we have the modern Showa, or 'kindai' Showa. Kinda neat to be in the middle of change, don't ya think!
    I kind of like this one.

Not my pick for If money was not an issue, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Mike, can I interest you in this one? Seems like Gachami is little more your style...

The red eye is unfortunate. But, yes, I'll take her. Please ship for Friday arrival.

Showa are changing. There were some at the Momotaro auction from the Shiro Showa/Mako Showa line with bodies very unlike traditional Showa. We are seeing more at Dainichi. So far, the judging community has accepted this movement toward bodies more like Kohaku and Sanke. Some see it as a trait that comes with improved pigments, but remain advocates of the more traditional broad-shouldered Showa. Others see the streamlining of the body to be an advance in itself. Either way, there is no doubt that overall Showa are making huge strides.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    I haven't had the time to view all the Koi, but I find it hard to believe that there's another with this Frame. I'd double check to make sure the tail isn't twisted, but other then that, DAMN !
    And a grand pattern, too.

I'd love to spend a few hours having Shigeru explain why the 3-star Showa did not get a fourth star. Photos do not show enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    That one is a nice Showa, the twisted tail did strike when I first saw it.....I bet you all the dealers will be confirming that for their customers during the auction....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The red eye is unfortunate. But, yes, I'll take her. Please ship for Friday arrival.

Showa are changing. There were some at the Momotaro auction from the Shiro Showa/Mako Showa line with bodies very unlike traditional Showa. We are seeing more at Dainichi. So far, the judging community has accepted this movement toward bodies more like Kohaku and Sanke. Some see it as a trait that comes with improved pigments, but remain advocates of the more traditional broad-shouldered Showa. Others see the streamlining of the body to be an advance in itself. Either way, there is no doubt that overall Showa are making huge strides.
    I'd like to see/learn more about how the bodies have changed over the years. What are traditional Showa, Kohaku and Sanke body types? I'll start a fresh thread and I hope all will share with me so I can study and learn what "I like" in conformation. Would love to see a lot of photos to see the differences, changes, even trends in conformation for different types and or breeders...

Too many beautiful fish to narrow down to just 3. Here are my top four. :-)

Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-076_54cm_hoo_female_3.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-sp11_57cm_gachako_female.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-016_54cm_hige_female_3.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-215_54cm_gachako_female_3.jpg

#215 made the cut because of it's amazing body conformation, IMHO. Unfortunately, it's shiroji is not as impressive.

Cheers,
    Sunny

Since this is a virtual shopping spree, let me reach into my virtual pocket and indulge myself with another fish...#34. :-) This is the offspring of my favorite Dainichi oyagoi, a former AJNPA Grand Champion. IMHO, this oyagoi has all the characteristics of an ideal showa; a great body with marusome beni and sumi on a porcelain white ground. Comparing #34 to it's mother(Sakura), everything looks almost identical except for the body; it appears to be a little weaker than Sakura. One other characteristic that I like in Sakura that's not obvious on this fish is the marusome beni and sumi. Coach(Dick Benbow) alluded to this subject in another thread that "...marusome meaning both beni and sumi color fill the scale upon completion or finish". I hope someone can help me/us understand what to look for in this fish to see whether those two charateristics have been passed down from Sakura or not.

Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-sakura.jpgDainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-034_56cm_sakura_female_3.jpg

Cheers,
    Sunny

Duc reports on another board that Special #01 got the highest bid:

"Congrats to Dainichi Koi Farm for a record auction price today at their 5th auction. Narita Koi obtained this special specimen for 21.5 million ¥ or 211K USD.

Look forward to seeing this koi at the All Japan Young Koi Show in the spring. "

Mark Gardner has photos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast