Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction

Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction

Dainichi Auction 2013

I love looking at auctions as they give a peek into what the breeder is doing. You can see the evolution if their koi and compare vs other breeders.

And I also like to dream about owning a few. ;-)

If money was not an issue, which three would you own?

Go go ahead and start your virtual shopping.

Duc

Of course I would dream to have most of the Special ones, love these "new look" Dainichi Showa ! For possible bidding i would go for #133,#143,#218 ......take it easy people

NK

If money was no object I would probably pick these 3 and keep in Japan for about 2years....would have loved to see more Sanke in this auction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-208_57cm_gachako_female.jpg   Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-076_54cm_hoo_female_3.jpg   Dainichi Eye Candy, 5th Auction-224_58cm_miharax_female.jpg  

Well, Duc, I'd focus on the 4-star specials! ...Who am I to disagree with the Mano brothers?

It's pretty clear that they were well-sedated for the videos. It makes evaluation of the bodies a challenge. Still, I'd be very happy with the Special 05 or Special 06 Showa. I like the lines of the abdomens of these two. But, then, my taste in Showa is a little unconventional. The bruised nose of 06 in the photo does not show much in the video. I'd guess the photo came first shortly after harvest and the video when selected for auction. But, I do not know if that is correct. ...Of course, I'd be happy with any of the 4-star picks.

Oooops! I did not see the second page of 4-star specials before. I'll trade-in those other two. One has everything I like in a nisai. Special No. 12 is 'the one' for me. She has the non-traditional body type I love. (Many others will not care for it.) The head is a very nice white for her age. (Some will think that is a sign of maturing early.) The motoguro is strong. The black is truly intense. (Another sign she might be maturing early?) The patterning is well-balanced. And, she has a pretty face. Could she actually be male? ...I'll trust the Mano brothers on their sexing of 'her'.

Great excercise! I noticed I prefer the Gachako line over the others. Would love to see the Gachami line over the next few years too, although I prefer more sumi in my Showa picks. Damn fine koi! I'll take any of em!

I am curious as to why this got 3 stars...

Regarding #93, do you think she should have more or fewer stars?

It is unfortunate that there is no video of her. The photo shows a crooked head. Presumably that was just a moment of movement when the camera was snapped. But, without a video, one cannot be sure.

I like the more Kohaku-like body lines. I do not like the heavy sumi of the rear half. I cannot tell if there is any motoguro on her right side. Unbalanced motoguro is a frequent issue with Showa being developed from Kohaku and Sanke influences. For any particular koi, unbalanced motoguro may not matter from a judging perspective, depending on the competition of the day. Much of my enjoyment of Showa (and Shiro Utsuri) is due to the impression given by motoguro. So, an imbalance affects how I enjoy the koi when in my pond.

Mike- Fewer. I don't think this was a three star against that strong of a field. I saw others that looked like they deserved stars but didn't recieve any. It could easily be explained by simply a poor photo. I always defer to the breeder, even more so when viewing a single pic. However- This koi may tell a different story. What piques my interest is the fact that it was awarded three stars AND that it was only a few of the Gachako Jr line. I haven't looked back, but I don't recall many Gachako Jr that got three stars. It makes me curious what's up with this one. Honestly, I don't know the Dainichi lines to really speak of any knowledge, but just by looking at the sets, the Gachako looked dominating among the others. So just looking at the numbers it is curious as to why this got was top tier. Ya figure this koi was held in a hand several dozen times over the two years- they had to know it's qualities. Than again maybe it was the first pick of the day and the eyes spoke too soon. Who knows?

As for the motoguro, on this koi it does not detract my eye one bit. The balance for me is the tip of the gill plate ad the sumi behind the shoulder. Kinda makes me wonder what may come. Even for a heavy sumi guy like me, I'd prefer to see less on the back half...

Mike, can I interest you in this one? Seems like Gachami is little more your style...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast