Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Momotaro December 17, 2013 Auction

Momotaro December 17, 2013 Auction

The third Momotaro auction of the season will be December 17. Photos and videos to be posted.

...I guess Maeda does not believe all the auctions this Fall have exhausted the koi budgets of high-flying kichi around the world. Can he top the record bidding at his last auction, or reach the height of SFF auction bidding? I hope some dealer in attendance lets the news out, if so.

Sansai

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The third Momotaro auction of the season will be December 17. Photos and videos to be posted.

...I guess Maeda does not believe all the auctions this Fall have exhausted the koi budgets of high-flying kichi around the world. Can he top the record bidding at his last auction, or reach the height of SFF auction bidding? I hope some dealer in attendance lets the news out, if so.
    The new world record auction koi is now held by Dainichi and not Sff. I highly doubt Momotaro can surpass this.

I expect you are correct. SFF's last auction reportedly reached 21 million yen, Dainichi topped that at 21.5 million. The highest Momotaro has gotten this season is reportedly 9.5 million. In past years the December auction has had some of Momotaro's best koi, but it is hard to think another 21 million yen koi will be auctioned this season. No doubt Maeda will try to have something in the auction to attempt to narrow that gap.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I expect you are correct. SFF's last auction reportedly reached 21 million yen, Dainichi topped that at 21.5 million. The highest Momotaro has gotten this season is reportedly 9.5 million. In past years the December auction has had some of Momotaro's best koi, but it is hard to think another 21 million yen koi will be auctioned this season. No doubt Maeda will try to have something in the auction to attempt to narrow that gap.
    So at US $2 Million, do they break even for the year? With all the water, power, feed, manhours, facility upkeep, etc. etc. etc........it must be close. Unless the hired help are interns, they ALL put in tons of hours in the care and maintenance of keeping their livelyhood. Definitely a 10-12-16 hours days and 7 days a week for those involved in keeping everything running smoothly. I guess wintertime is a small break for them, but I'm sure there is A LOT to do during the winter months to keep the koi safe and warm over the tough cold winters. Thank goodness for the CRAZY Hobbiest paying $8000-$20000++++++ for the koi that they raise and nurture.

Then again, they must be making money because they all keep building more ponds and acquiring more land.

Nisai
    I suspect the loads of tosais and nisais sold, that does not make the auction cut are the ones generating the income to sustain the day to day overheads.

Coming out of the koi farm, I think that the Tosai and Nissai culls are sold at very reasonable prices. Then the mark-ups come into play with dealers, testing, holding and shipping of the koi to us Hobbiest. It is the nature of the beast.

I suspect that it is the very reason that most farms are family businesses. Working together for that common goal at the end of every season. Auction Day(s). I still think it is a tough tough business model, yet I have heard stories of Mr. S and his many exotic cars in his extra large garage. He is definitely doing something right!

Bid and Bid HIGH!

Let the auction begin!!! Momotaro koi

Which fish will top SFF's and Dainichi's 20mil+ yens? Any predictions?

Regards,
    Sunny

Number 19 TM Kohaku is the smallest of that lot, but a pretty one. Would anyone want to venture a guess as to what price such beauty might fetch?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Momotaro December 17, 2013 Auction-thumb_19kohaku54cm131217.jpg  

Less than 21.5 million yen.

Are the breeders holding more Auctions or is it that we are just seeing them more often on the Forum ?

This has got to be a Huge Money Maker for the breeders. I guess the words Tategoi & Jumbo have run it's course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast