Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dick benbow

Thread: i learned somethin yesterday

seattle, wa

i learned somethin yesterday

And while it had to do with my bonsai hobby, it's something easily applicable to our love of Koi.

I was invited to join the curator of the paciic rim bonsai collection to work on a spruce that needed it's wiring removed. during a break, I noticed what I considered to be a forlorn crabapple, and asked Mr. de Groot about it. he said he had just purchased it
    to work on for his personal collection. Reading the consternation in my look, he went on to encourage the look by sharing the apples were yellow in color instead of the prized red, that most preferred. So I had to ask, why would he select such a subject. And what I learned was that he had looked beyond it's present look by seeing the potential it exhibited. This tree had demonstrated over the scared branches removed that it was capable of producing a miriad of new branches to aid in new branch selection. It was this lone ability ( unusual for this species as my own specimen will atteest) that encouraged his decision.

It caused me to think about what i look for in a tosai. And that was the potential to accomplish the job I wanted. So in my selection process I look for head length and the width of the head as it goes into the shoulder. This gives me encouragement to read the potetial in growth. I look at the "hump" behind the head as an indication of future body shape. For many, they are focused on what they are seeing now for pattern.

In both cases, bonsai and koi, proper care and time can help accomplish what we wish to end up with. But like any navigation to get to where we're going, it's helpful to be able to read and prioritize the roadsigns.

Hopefully this ramble will help someone in either hobby to have an "ah-ha" moment in defining how to look beyond what can be seen in it's immediate situation.
    Dick Benbow

Orlando, Florida
    Thank you, sensei.

Manila, Philippines
    A fitting analogy- as tosai can really look very ugly if you don't look into its potential. And look very nice if you don't either.

Well said Dick. There is a very good reason I have picking your brain for years.