Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM
  • 1 Post By HEADACHE6

Thread: Holiday Shopping For Koi Kichi

Holiday Shopping For Koi Kichi

It's 'Black Friday' in the U.S., the biggest shopping day of the year on which it is said that retailers get in the black, meaning they become profitable for the year. So, the question of what to get the koi kichi for a holidays present always comes up. What usually happens is the kichi gets some little knick knacks with koi on them, and then buys themself a 'real' koi present.

So, what are you getting yourself this year?

My suggestion is an idea I saw on another board... give yourself a 'koi vacation'. Pick a koi event you would really like to take in and build a family vacation around it. I did something of the reverse in 2004. To celebrate my daughter's high school graduation, she got to pick a country for a family vacation. She selected London (with a stop in Itreland for a few days), and the timing coincided with the BKKS national show that year. So, I got to go to a koi show I had heard much about and the rest of the family went on an adventure they knew I had no interest in. Everyone had a great time. It was one of the most memorable vacation trips of all. And, not just for me. My wife and daughter had their own adventure that day that held no interest for me. After you pick the koi event that interests you, check out what is available in the area that would be of special interest to your spouse. Everyone gets their special day. It takes planning, but the planning can be part of the fun.

Ready for that trip to Japan? A trip to the Arcen show? East coasters might like a vacation in northern California, tour Napa Valley one day and tour all the koi dealers in the Bay Area another. Take in U.S. revolutionary history and great art museums in Philadelphia, with a day trip to Quality Koi. Or, the culinary delights of New Orleans and Bourbon Street, with a day trip to Purdin Koi Farm.

Over on that other board I encouraged a spring vacation in Orlando to coincide with the Central Florida Koi Show. There are tons of things to do in the world's #1 tourist destination, and it's not just theme parks. On the West Coast, the SoCal and NorCal shows can easily become part of a vacation plan.

Instead of giving stuff that's just stuff, give an experience all will remember as a special adventure.

Great suggestions Mike! I am giving myself a trip to the Orlando show in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Great suggestions Mike! I am giving myself a trip to the Orlando show in 2014.

OMG ! I'm giving myself the same thing !
    RayJordan likes this.

MCA
    So, what are you getting yourself this year?
    My showa from Isa should be flying in next weekend along with an ociba for the wife. Can't wait to see them!!!