Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What have you done for your Koi Lately?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Nice looking male tosai. Enjoy the adventure!
    Thanks Mike. They are not quality fish, but I will surely do my best to fatten them up quickly. They arrived very thin and scrawny. Always interested in how fast they grow in our climate. Year round growth. I'll try out some of that Hikari Spirolina feed with the Kenzen.

This year has been a really HOT summer in the islands. We actually reached 90+ degrees yesterday. I've noticed that my water has not been able to maintain pH levels of 7.0 again. I've been running water changes 2-3 times a week now to try and address my dropping pH. I need to get my aquaponics project moving so I'll feel better running a trickle through the pond.

I am wondering if the warmer summer water and or algae blumm affect the pH levels negatively.

Tinkering with a three tier milkcrate shower assembly with J-Mat media and Ceramedia layers for my QTs. I put together with some spare parts I had lying around the yard/storage. I think the flow rate for the showers are too low (600-700 gallons per hour). I'd like to see more water action streaming through the media, but it could also be my flow method (2" PVC with drilled holes). Hmmmmmmm...I'll see if I can find a top pan to fit in the 12x12 milk crates.

Okay. Here is a version of my QT Shower Setup (without top pan). Rough and ready. I spent about 3 hours designing and building the system out. It has been running for almost four days now and not sure how to test if is helpful or not. I did mix-in 50/50 biologically mature ceramedia along with the J-mat media to give the system a biologinal headstart; seems to be working so far. I have noticed that the QT water is much clearer than it was before, but it maybe that I never really paid attention to how clean the water was in the first place...haha. I'm guessing the added biological media is helping.

The one change I made this weekend was to incorporate a bottom catch basin in lieu of dropping directly into the QTs. Helped a lot with the sloppy splashing out of the QTs. I also introduce a top pan to distribute the water evenly over the media. The (PVC) flow bar that I started with did not spread the cycled water evenly over the media.

Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Well, other than adding another layer of J-Mat to each crate, I haven't tinkered much with this test shower set-up lately.

However, I recently added a stand alone Aquaponics System downstream of my filters to get some additional use of my dumped pond water. Simple system that I threw together with my left over tubs, fittings and small 30Watt pump. I did need to build my own siphon system and buy a couple valves to isolate the system from my filters. Having fun designing/building system with very low maintenance. Not sure what I'm getting into yet, but looking forward to getting some of my favorite vegetables from my koi poop waters...haha.

I also took 10 baby tilapia from my dads house to grow-out (and hopefully eat later). The system has been running for almost two weeks so I'm not sure how the water quality is for the plants and fish. I still end up dumping water to my lawn each week as the Aquaponics system doesn't take/use the same amount of water as I change out At least I'm trying to be GREEN.

Tosai
    I'd like to see some pictures of your aquaponics system - growbed, media etc.

My pond has 12 x daily timed dumps of the waste from the cone of the vortex settlement chamber that runs into the garden. I want to put in a hydroponic bed at the output - maybe with no flood and drain since it is alrady doing that. Wondering if the waste water may be too rich. After the grow bed, mine will over flow into a blueberry patch.

Is your planted now?

Quote Originally Posted by diamond*girl View Post
    I'd like to see some pictures of your aquaponics system - growbed, media etc.

My pond has 12 x daily timed dumps of the waste from the cone of the vortex settlement chamber that runs into the garden. I want to put in a hydroponic bed at the output - maybe with no flood and drain since it is alrady doing that. Wondering if the waste water may be too rich. After the grow bed, mine will over flow into a blueberry patch.

Is your planted now?
    Wow, timed vortex dumps! Sounds high-tech. I do my dumps the old fashion way - manual valves. haha.

I don't think the dirty water will be bad if you spread out the vortex dump 12x a day.

I never timed or counted the number of cycles that my grow bed dumps back into the tilapia tank. It dumps pretty often, if I had to guess the grow bed fills and dumps every 5 minutes (maybe sooner). So the grow bed cycles 12 times an hour. Thats 288 times in a 24 hour period. Is this too much? Like I said, I just threw this together without knowledge of ideal flow rates or conditions. Just making fun for myself. I have only planted some green onions and basil stalks as I just replanted some seedlings into planting media. It will be 2-3 weeks before I plant them in the grow beds. I should have some green onions and basil ready by then.

Tosai
    So, when you say this system is downstream of your koi pond filters, does that mean you are sending koi water to the tilapia then to the grow beds then ... ? it keeps recirculating but not back to the koi pond? Just trying to visualize ...

I have no idea how often fill and dumps should be - we are creating pioneer hybrid systems!

I think I will make my grow beds with a mostly closed valved overflow so they will fill quick and then empty slowly to have more of an ebb and flow effect. Then once a week all my sand and gravel filter flush will also be sent through the grow bed as well. I can open the valve and get a good flush out of the grow bed with this water, which will help prevent too much waster build up.

What media are you using in the grow beds? Pictures!

Yes, I placed this set-up downstream of the filters, just before the water gets to the yard. I have a two divertor valves to either bi-pass or send water to the aquaponcis system. If I want to fill the aquaponics tub with fresh koi water, I divert the water going to the yard to go to the aquaponics tubs. 50% of the time, I just close the aquaponics feed and the koi water goes directly to the yard...So I really only use 50% of my koi water for aquaponics. Better than nothing. I do to many water changes and dump too much water to have it cycle 100% through my make shift system. But now you have me thinking stage two...I have to think overflow....

Here is a bad night time pic of what I put together. Nothing fancy. The one thing that I did different was to include a small tub with one separating jmat to keep the poop from getting ground up by the pump and thrown into the grow beds. I hear stories of grow beds getting clogged with waste so I guess it is a hybrid system. I use our local lava cinder rock media.

I got some local green onions and sprigs of Thai basil that I had in my icebox. I know they grow just by sticking them in water so I'm just giving it a go. My Lettuce, Arugula, and Pak Choy seedlings just sprouted and I transferred them into media. Still a ways to go before I get them in the grow bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fry
    changed 50% of the water and getting ready to introduce a few new koi to my pond

MCA
    Got a 40 pound box of Tomigai Tategoi delivered.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast