Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: My New Sanke

My New Sanke

What do you think of this sanke? My rule to never purchase koi from just a photo was broken. Well, I just couldn't resist this one. :-) It looks like a fun fish to grow out and see how it develops. Also, it's an opportunity for me to learn from a Sakai(SFF) sanke. At 14.5", it's a little small for a nisai(born 2012). I am gessing it's a male, which is ok for the price and I can use a nice male oyagoi to experiment in my backyard breeding venture. This is the only photo I have of it. I will upload the video when I receive the fish next week.
    My New Sanke-sff_sanke_copy.jpg

Here are my initial impressions of it. If I am way off, please do jump in...
    1. Beni Quality- Acceptable with good kiwa and sashi; it's maruzume beni, which is a bonus.
    2. Body conformation - Acceptable for a male
    3. Beni pattern - Very simple but clean with possible tsubo sumi developing; I am hoping that the sumi will darken in those key areas to compensate for the lack of strong beni pattern.
    4. Shiroji - Not sure ??? (I hope the orangy look is just stress induced and it will lighten up when it's back to normal condition)
    5. Sumi - Not sure ??? (Sumi quality on this fish is challenging for me to read, but that is the exciting aspect of this fish. It's the mystery that I hope will reveal itself in a good way)

Please jump in with your comments.

Thanks!
    Sunny

Wasn't able to ascertain your hopes for purchase, but felt your more interested in your breeding projects. If so then I think you may be well pleased. From a show stand point I think the pattern of minimal beni and sumi will have this koi develop as "flowery", with not enough strength in his sumi to make it, powerful enough. colors look good and their is a multiplicaytion factor with sumi when you breed so you want to have a male more this way then overly strong. Time will tell. This hobby is for optimists only... best of luck......
    Dick Benbow

Thanks for your immediate feedback, Coach! That's very valuable information. Yes, I enjoy the breeding aspect of this hobby even more than showing. :-) I am glad you think it's a good candidate for an oyagoi.

Regards,
    Sunny