Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: First Signs of Koi Losing Ground on Development

First Signs of Koi Losing Ground on Development

Interested in discussions on learning what are the signs of a kois development that help determine that the koi will NOT get better and will start going down in quality. Obviously, the loss of luster and thickness of the sumi and hi is one thing. Are there any other factors that show diminished quality is on the horizon? Shiroji quality?

I have also read here that the darker (more purple) scarlet red hi is more of a short lived hi as opposed to the development of the more red-orange hi. Any truth in this?

Thanks all

No more truth to looking a koi in the mouth to see if it's a showa by the sight of sumi there. Things change over time. There was a time when beni color was to have a persimmon base (yellow orange) and yes! purple was something to stay away from. Now we even have pink beni!

Over time I have seen what I considered faults in the beni , somehow repair. The breeder said it would but I was doubtful. So getting to know current information is most helpful on a line's development and who better to know then the breeder. I have also seen young tategoi woefully kept by marginal systems that were sold off only to recover and advance in a state of the art pond.

keep an open mind Akai-san, be like a sponge and absorb all the information you can but only retain that which you can confirm yourself.
    Dick Benbow

Over time I have seen what I considered faults in the beni , somehow repair.
    I am very amenable to being open-minded about this. Have an 18-month kindai shows with 1 beni step that has been breaking up. Still seeing it as a rescue operation than a salvage operation. But have to have a plan. Would appreciate some ideas, no matter how silly. Like feeding beef hearts (read about it once off the net). Sounds silly, but always stuck with me because of it being so.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post

keep an open mind Akai-san, be like a sponge and absorb all the information you can but only retain that which you can confirm yourself.
    Will do Sensei. I guess I am of the belief that beni quality IS what it IS One primary purpose is to provide enough care to keep the current quality from going bad. In my very short experience of watching koi develop, I have seen sumi become stronger and weaker. However, I have only seen hi quality stay the same or get worst with age. I've only been conscious of this for the past 8 years and only watching over 8-12 koi growing (fathers and mine) in different environments. We have cheap third-fourth class specimens, but I'm learning more and more about body types and watching body growth more than anything. I have one kohaku that appears to have a thicker and more consistent Hi quality, so I'll have to start my learning and trials from there.

I'm really finding out first hand why body conformation should be the first element that should be critiqued strictly. As our koi grow larger, the overall expression of the Larger Koi becomes very important for development to continue. I finally realized that I need to be more serious in considering the future of the koi. As it gets older, what will be its expression and condition when the koi gets to 28"+ (If it gets to 28"). Then the pressure to build an even larger pond. OH MY...