Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM

Thread: Koi Judging.

Tosai

Question Koi Judging.

Hi guys I am stocking my pond and was wondering which were beter quality out of the group thanks.

First is category is KUMONRYU koi.

KUMONRYU Stantard fin
    Koi Judging.-k1.jpg
    Or KUMONRYU Butterfly fin
    Koi Judging.-k2.jpg

Next are TAISHO SANKES

Standard Fin
    Koi Judging.-t1.jpg

Butterfly Fin
    Koi Judging.-t2.jpg

If I Had to put one of those four Koi in my Pond it would be the first one.

Tosai
    If you could pick one from each categoery thanks.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsalltender View Post
    If you could pick one from each categoery thanks.
    i only see one in each category esp if dividing out reg fin and longfin.

also depends what your goals are for the koi?
    show?
    pond fish?

I don't own Butterfly Koi, and the Sanke isn't a high grade Koi.

Because the thread title refers to judging, it seems to ask for application of judging standards, but the actual question concerns quality. I agree with Troy that the standard fin Kumonryu is the one that might turn out to be worthwhile. Both Sanke are low in pigment quality. Butterfly koi in general have lower quality than standard fin koi due to the genetics for long fins affecting the mature body form as well as finnage, although the best of them will certainly be superior to the worst of standard koi. (IMO, male long-fins end up more attractive than females because the body issues are not as obvious with males.)

Obviously you like long-fin koi or you would not have them in your choices. They not considered to be koi by traditionalists, but a hybrid pretender. So, the bias of serious koikeepers runs counter to your appreciation of the long-fins.

Because of the popular interest in long-fins, an effort has been made to establish judging standards for them. It has not resulted in much of an increase in interest in long-fins at shows that I can see, but for those who consider long-fins to be equally worthy of pond space, the standards give something to go by. I have only a superficial understanding of the standards, so I'll leave it to others to to speak to that if there is interest.

Nonetheless, I would venture to guess that if you entered all four of these koi in a show with a long-fin class, these two long-fins would be more likely to win something in their size than either of the standard koi. The standard koi are unremarkable examples of their varieties, with the Kumonryu being too undeveloped at this stage although having a better chance of improvement than the Sanke. Of the two long-fins, what I like is that the finnage (particularly the pectorals) is even, balanced and held well by these little guys. There is none of the distortion of fin rays and raggediness so often seen. Certainly, the finnage is quite long in relation to the bodies. A real problem with long-fins is that the delicate butterfly atmosphere present when they are small often disappears with maturity bringing a cumbersome fish whose finnage and body form results in a weighed-down, waddling creature more resembling one of those goldfish monsters than can barely swim. So, what is a plus in a small tosai can become a burden in the mature fish. If I was going to give a long-fin a try, of these two I would select the long-fin Kumonryu despite it being extremely thin if not emaciated. The long-fin Sanke has a better body on the day, but I think the risk is high that the finnage will grow and become burdensome, producing a fish lacking grace. (See how the long-fin Kumonryu has a standard form of pectoral that is greatly enlarged, while the long-fin Sanke has pectorals that flare.) So, in my opinion, and I'm definitely not experienced in long-fins, the long-fin Sanke would be the one fish out of the four with some chance of getting a first place in its class and size at a show today, but the long-fin Kumonryu would be the better long-fin in the future (if you can get it to eat). It still loses out to the standard fin Kumonryu.

In the end, pick what you like. It's your enjoyment that counts when you're the one buying.
    ricshaw likes this.

Tosai
    Thank you soo much for that wonderful response.