Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: move on to metric

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Would the proposed oganizations use the entire metric system? Like liters and grams? I think one of the problems is that we use a combination. We combine centimeters along with pounds and gallons. There is no congruancy. It's wierd how in everyday life we use a combination of systems. My 12 fluid ounce Redbull contains 140 miligrams of sodium and 39 grams of sugar. My 2.8 liter engine consumes 1 gallon of gasoline (not petrol ) per 16 miles. Yet somehow the meter is nearly left out. I can't think of many ways I use meters in everyday life.

I think it would send a bold statement if koi organizations would use the metric system in it's entirety. But that would mean change. And folks don't like change. And we gotta ask ourselves, "Am I doing my part?" I know I can say "No, I am not doing my part." I use gallons, inches and pounds for everything. Effort begins with oneself. Perhaps those that favor the metric system should begin by not using English measurements themselves? Leading by example is surely the quickest way to induce followers...

I would support such an agenda by the koi community and organizations. I think it would show great unity and strengthen the foundation of the American Koi community, all the while, showing the world that the American Koi community is seeking unity on both the national and international level. Kinda a one hand washes the other kinda thingy.

Weren't you dead set against use of cm/ bu a few weeks ago? If you don't mind, what caused the change of heart?

Yep I was. And no, I don't mind... but I don't know why. I guess I feel it would strengthen the hobby in some way. And even though I have my personal opinion, I will always support the American Koi Hobby in the effort to unify certain aspects. So yeah, I support this change because feel it would be good for the hobby, not necessarily because I like it. Compromise, my friend... and putting differences aside for greater good.

Nisai
    I support using the same classification system as the rest of the world. It is confusing to have inches vs cm, and size vs BU. I read the mags and have to get a chart to do the conversions to U.S sizes. Lets just standardize.

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Yep I was. And no, I don't mind... but I don't know why. I guess I feel it would strengthen the hobby in some way. And even though I have my personal opinion, I will always support the American Koi Hobby in the effort to unify certain aspects. So yeah, I support this change because feel it would be good for the hobby, not necessarily because I like it. Compromise, my friend... and putting differences aside for greater good.
    Great! I grew up remembering the US was about to change to the metric system, but when that time came, it simply went. And the English system stayed on. And I thought in the naivete of my youth, how come the English moved on and the Americans didn't. The Philippines being a former colony of the US, it didn't really matter then, and doesn't even now - except when I order special fittings from the US from flexpvc, as I learned that it cost me slightly more to use those fittings, as I had to get english-metric adapters to accompany the order. And yes, I still like the English system of measuring height - smaller chunks. I still like my height to be 5'7" than 170 cm. And I can't get used to being weighed in kg, as if I'm being sold for food lol.

Just make sure you guys don't repeat the colossal mistake of the Hubble telescope- it didn't focus well initially because the lenses didn't do well because metric and English got mixed up. I never understood how that eventually got fixed.

It helps though that a conversion is just a Google away.

Even the English will do some throw back to standard units especially with lbs and you'll hear an occasional mention of "stones" for weight.
    i will never leave Fahrenheit for temperature though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12