Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: move on to metric

MCA

move on to metric

As far as I know, we in the States are the last country still holding on to English measurements in inches when creating koi show classes and benching koi. I would suggest that AKJA, AKCA, ZNA NA, and all the local clubs plan to do shows using metric measurements starting in . We can use the traditional BU size classes that are based on increments of 10cm. Using the same measurements as the rest of the world helps unify the hobby making it quicker/easier to compare koi at shows and for sale worldwide.

Remember, there is nothing intrinsically American about using inches and feet. We inherited that system from the English. And they have moved on to metric. Lets do the same in our hobby.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Sansai
    Totally agree

Oyagoi
    maybe its different around different parts of country but when we were at Kentucky mud pond pull and took some other roads we were noticing alot of the signs over the roads around Louisville were in kilometers then miles underneath.
    kinda threw us for a loop as never saw road signs like that before.
    around here everything is miles and nothing mentioning of kilomoters

Would the proposed oganizations use the entire metric system? Like liters and grams? I think one of the problems is that we use a combination. We combine centimeters along with pounds and gallons. There is no congruancy. It's wierd how in everyday life we use a combination of systems. My 12 fluid ounce Redbull contains 140 miligrams of sodium and 39 grams of sugar. My 2.8 liter engine consumes 1 gallon of gasoline (not petrol ) per 16 miles. Yet somehow the meter is nearly left out. I can't think of many ways I use meters in everyday life.

I think it would send a bold statement if koi organizations would use the metric system in it's entirety. But that would mean change. And folks don't like change. And we gotta ask ourselves, "Am I doing my part?" I know I can say "No, I am not doing my part." I use gallons, inches and pounds for everything. Effort begins with oneself. Perhaps those that favor the metric system should begin by not using English measurements themselves? Leading by example is surely the quickest way to induce followers...

I would support such an agenda by the koi community and organizations. I think it would show great unity and strengthen the foundation of the American Koi community, all the while, showing the world that the American Koi community is seeking unity on both the national and international level. Kinda a one hand washes the other kinda thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    maybe its different around different parts of country but when we were at Kentucky mud pond pull and took some other roads we were noticing alot of the signs over the roads around Louisville were in kilometers then miles underneath.
    kinda threw us for a loop as never saw road signs like that before.
    around here everything is miles and nothing mentioning of kilomoters
    A very intelligent approach to acclimating the public to a metric world.

MCA
    The only thing measured and recorded at a koi show is koi body length to determine a koi's size class. Weight and volume (of koi, tanks, wranglers, judges, --etc) are not determined (thank goodness). Judges may of course use the impresion of a koi's volume as part of confirmation and deciding how much presence a koi has. But that volume/presence is subjective, not objective.

So talk to your respective show chairs and wranglers. gives all show teams plenty of time to plan to use metric koi measurements and show classes. This could get serious momentum if a couple of the larger shows such as Orlando go metric. It will certainly make show reporting via Nichirin easier.

My club switched to BU 2 years ago. Here is a chart I made a couple years ago to help people convert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails move on to metric-bu.jpg  
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

MCA
    Excellent! Now to get more clubs to do likewise.

I think the Koi Society would be supportive. Koi Society - Koi Lengths and Weights

I think when it comes to measuring the fish, go with cm. I have a harder time switching from gallons, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast