Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: my koi's head is turning white, is something wrong?

my koi's head is turning white, is something wrong?

I recently lost power for 4 full days, and after this ordeal my black koi has a white patch on his head. I changed the water right before the blkout and kept the tank airated the whole time with a battery powered pump. The water was ice cold and the fish were cuddling in the corner and hardly moving.

They seem back to normal now after the power and the water temp became normal again. Here are some photos, although they are quite blurry, but still okay to see. Before his head was Perfectly fine, and almost all black, now its kinda faded to white, any help would be appreciated thanksmy koi's head is turning white, is something wrong?-1388280397356.jpg

Heres a better photo of it's head.
    my koi's head is turning white, is something wrong?-p1070440.jpg

I can't really tell from photos but suspect costia, caused by the recent stress and how you discribe it.....

Yes, really cannot tell from the photo. When I first started reading your post, my thought was that a black koi turning white is probably a Kumonryu or Matsukawabake going through a color change. The photo doesn't look like that is what is occurring, but I can't tell. Observe the fish for signs of parasites... clamped fins, sitting on bottom, scratching against objects in the aquarium. If parasite symptoms show up, your local aquarium shop will have medications in suitable dosages for aquarium use. I would not treat based on what I can see in the photo unless something more was occurring. After your koi has had a few days of normal tank temperatures, it should be behaving normally. If not, you'll need to investigate.

[QUOTE=yyyy2999;211776]I recently lost power for 4 full days, and after this ordeal my black koi has a white patch on his head. I changed the water right before the blkout and kept the tank airated the whole time with a battery powered pump. The water was ice cold and the fish were cuddling in the corner and hardly moving.

Two of the most informed koi people in the whole of Canada are close by you they are
    Mark Curtis Shenikah Aquatic solutions located on Elsmere 416 495 0004
    Randol Clarke Clarke koi ponds located on Warden 416 757 6328
    If on your fish the white looks like white pepper then it is likely Itch as costia is never very active at low temperatures.
    You could put your fish in a clear plastic bag and take it down they can then advise you.
    Regards
    Eugene

Thanks for your input guys, I took a better photo hopefully you guys can help identify the issue. On it's head there is a white spot, and one area of it is becoming more white.
    my koi's head is turning white, is something wrong?-p1070440.jpg
    Dont worry about the scale, it looks like the same issue but it's just a scale.

Should i add aquarium salt in the tank? I never really used to put aquarium salt but i think i should now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Two of the most informed koi people in the whole of Canada are close by you they are
    Mark Curtis Shenikah Aquatic solutions located on Elsmere 416 495 0004
    Randol Clarke Clarke koi ponds located on Warden 416 757 6328
    If on your fish the white looks like white pepper then it is likely Itch as costia is never very active at low temperatures.
    You could put your fish in a clear plastic bag and take it down they can then advise you.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Yeah the first person you listed lives very close to me, thanks for the info

The new photo is helpful. I am not sure what it is, but I do not think it is costia or ich. The 'very white' area looks like a loss of pigment. If scales in that area look normal with no injury or underlying redness from an infection, I think it is probably just color loss.

The round area on the head could be a couple of things. It could be a loss of pigment in process. The round contours would be consistent with pigment loss, and contrary to most parasite conditions. There is a disease fairly common in aquaria called 'velvet disease' (oodinium) usually triggered by poor water/shipping conditions, but can be triggered by temperature stress. In the early stages, it can appear in patches. This does not look like velvet to me, but in person it might. It is generally accompanied by clamped fins and lethargy. If your fish is acting normal, eating well and swimming around, it probably is not velvet.

Sometimes koi subjected to cold have the mucus coat affected. It can get 'cloudy', as if turning white, looking sort of like soap scum. It is a temporary condition that goes away as the mucus is shed in the normal course.

Those are my guesses. PLEASE NOTE: Diagnosing health conditions and making treatment suggestions via internet is inherently just guesswork. You should never rely on what anyone posts about a particular fish. My thoughts are just to give you ideas to consider. I have found internet postings very helpful, but I would never accept any on their face. Only you can see the fish in person, observe its behavior, know the water conditions, etc., etc.

Those are my guesses. PLEASE NOTE: Diagnosing health conditions and making treatment suggestions via internet is inherently just guesswork. You should never rely on what anyone posts about a particular fish. My thoughts are just to give you ideas to consider. I have found internet postings very helpful, but I would never accept any on their face. Only you can see the fish in person, observe its behavior, know the water conditions, etc., etc.[/QUOTE]

That is very well put
    I would recomend that he now purchases a book avaiable in all good koi outlets;
    KOI HEALTH AND DISEASE begginer to advanced life-saving technology
    By Erick L.Johnson, DVM
    We might end up with a Canadian Vet who knows Koi
    Regards
    Eugene

thanks for your input, i think i'll let the koi be for a little, and if this persists i might have to ask someone for help, but anyway, should i put salt in my aquarium? They say a tablespoon (or teaspoon) i forgot, per 10 gallons, around that. It seems like alot of salt, i don't know if this will negatively affect my koi.

Don't bother using the salt. It might make you feel good to do something, but salt at non-therapeutic levels does nothing for the koi and does nothing negative to any varmints that may be present.