Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Coming of beni matsukawabake

Coming of beni matsukawabake

I have a few threads now on my attempts to produce beni matsukawabake. These program has been over several years and into it's third generation. The development of the line has been amazing and an educator beyond the original intent. Anyone who has breed any variety, even if only once will tell you, it adds a differing layer to appreciation. Those that have bred many times, will tell you how much more it adds to appreciation, beyond that first breeding attempt. While breeding might be impossible for many, if ever you get the chance to visit a domestic breeder do so. I have no doubt that you will learn something new. (and I hope support them with a purchase).

That preamble aside.

These juveniles are just over one year old

Coming of beni matsukawabake-bm261213.jpg

Next. A paler one has got some beni weakness issues on the body and I hope these will disappear, to leave the lipstick. If that happens and the fuller matsukawabake look comes, this one will earn 'Lipstick' as a name.

Coming of beni matsukawabake-bm261213a1.jpgComing of beni matsukawabake-bm261213a.jpg

The last photo is an interesting one. It has the look of showa, with a few matsukawabake traits. Whatever the development line to follow it should become quite a looker. I posted a picture of a matsukawabake juvenile some time ago that had a 'kage' utsurimono appearance, but the true matsu nature came later.

I like the unique head hi pattern too It reminds me of 2 rivers merging together. Matsukawabake is in part named after an area near a river in Japan. So the two things come together nicely. here I am attempting to merge dorsal beni pattern from 2 sources on a koi with it's historical origins near a river.

Coming of beni matsukawabake-bm010114a.jpgComing of beni matsukawabake-bmlat010114.jpg

Those are sexy....

Bradley, your work is always so interesting. I would definitely say that last one was Showa, except you have told me otherwise. Please keep posting progress shots.

You should be commended for all your efforts. The degree of work, patience, and thought that goes into the selection process is overwhelming! Best wishes with gen4.

As I've mentioned before that was always my dream to breed. Hopefully when you get them stabilized you can bring in some diamond scale to set them furthur apart from their doutsu cousins. Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work...

Mike, have you noticed how the sumi sometimes falls on doitsu showa and doitsu hikari utsurimono? There are enough around where they have a kumonryu or Ki Kokuryu look to them. If mine was a doitsu, I think our conversation would lead that way. Yes, I would bench it as a showa for now. And it may well hold more of the showa traits in the years to come. Only the time will reveal in what direction it travels. With the outcrosses required in this variety development, there are a few that have a look away from the destination or a mix of both at the juvenile stage. As the sumi moves, some move from one variety to the other. However, in the end, they will need to have a distinct look.

Dick, There have been some magnificent GR matsukawabake that have graced the shows in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    You should be commended for all your efforts. The degree of work, patience, and thought that goes into the selection process is overwhelming! Best wishes with gen4.
    I appreciate the encouragement. The challenge has been stabilising beni pattern above the lateral line. I think I have now cracked the code in a handful, but need a few more years to confirm that................If I can get them past puberty and establish a result in successive generations.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast