Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nivek

Thread: Showa Eye Damaged - all the (retina) black smashed into bits and pieces

Nisai

Showa Eye Damaged - all the (retina) black smashed into bits and pieces

Hi , I have a showa with a smashed eye the retina looks completely smashed into pieces , but still moves and everything
    but the fesh does not seems to be responding to stimuli fon that side ,so i guess its gone blind
    it is eating well .

Its from the Koi bito dealer in India . rest of all my Koi are are doing well in the pond. Right now its moved into a hospital tank glass tank .
    is there any chance of the eye going back to normal
    Should i put the Showa on antibiotics just to ensure there is no infection .or could this be some kind of a Viral/Fungal infection .PLS help . This is my first koi buy from Koi Bito and i am not an expert . so all pls help andShowa Eye Damaged - all the (retina) black smashed into bits and pieces-dscn0822.jpg it will be much appreciated .

This appears to be a physical injury to the eye of the koi. It could be a birth defect. The photo is not clear, but I see nothing indicating an infection. So, I would not treat with antibiotics. I have seen similar problems on other koi on a few occasions. The condition did not improve. As you have observed, the koi can get by with the vision of just one eye.

If the koi had this problem when purchased, in my opinion the dealer should not have sold it, or should have pointed out the problem and let you know before you purchased. If the dealer is local to you, I would request a refund or replacement. If the koi was shipped to you in this condition, it may be problematical to get a refund or replacement. Some dealers would replace, but still require payment of shipping costs, which could exceed what it is worth. If the eye was normal when you purchased the koi, the injury could have occurred in transport, in quarantine or in your pond. The injury may only become evident after a several days. I have been told that small koi with this sort of problem are found when culling a spawn. Breeders eliminate them.

BTW, the Koi Bito dealership has no relationship to this forum. They are a venture that buys up a lot of koi in Japan and supply local dealers throughout Europe and Asia.

Nisai

Moving it back to the pond

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    This appears to be a physical injury to the eye of the koi. It could be a birth defect. The photo is not clear, but I see nothing indicating an infection. So, I would not treat with antibiotics. I have seen similar problems on other koi on a few occasions. The condition did not improve. As you have observed, the koi can get by with the vision of just one eye.

If the koi had this problem when purchased, in my opinion the dealer should not have sold it, or should have pointed out the problem and let you know before you purchased. If the dealer is local to you, I would request a refund or replacement. If the koi was shipped to you in this condition, it may be problematical to get a refund or replacement. Some dealers would replace, but still require payment of shipping costs, which could exceed what it is worth. If the eye was normal when you purchased the koi, the injury could have occurred in transport, in quarantine or in your pond. The injury may only become evident after a several days. I have been told that small koi with this sort of problem are found when culling a spawn. Breeders eliminate them.

BTW, the Koi Bito dealership has no relationship to this forum. They are a venture that buys up a lot of koi in Japan and supply local dealers throughout Europe and Asia.
    Thanks Mike ,

I guess the damage happened in my pond some way . Any way I got this at a big aqua event so it would be a very big challenge to send it back .
    There are no visible sharp corners that could have caused the injury but just 2 blunt pot handle kind of thing on an ancient stone pot that i use as an underwater filter media holder .

I am moving the Showa to back to pond as the fella seems to be doing well in the hospital tank and does not look like he needs it .Will watch for any other signs just in case .....
    and tnx for the clarification on the dealership .

Nisai

Update on the Injured Showa

Fish is doing amazingly fine and has grown more than three inches in the last seven months ....Feeds very aggressively but still blind on that side ...Here is a shot ..

Showa Eye Damaged - all the (retina) black smashed into bits and pieces-showa-001.1.jpgShowa Eye Damaged - all the (retina) black smashed into bits and pieces-showa-001.3.jpg

as the beni is not so great and no more sumi expected , guess I can re--home it ...

I have seen koi that were blind or injured in one eye and they do just fine. In fact, Purdin Koi Farm in Louisianna had a koi that was appropriately named "One Eye", as this koi had lost an eye from injury. Apparently she threw awesome genetics so she was used until 2010 (I think).

Glad for the recovery.

Yes as long there's still one good eye to locate food, it will eat and grow as per normal. My local dealer has a 77cm Mukashi Ogon with one good eye and the body is to die for.
    KK.Menon likes this.