Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans

Just a quick update. Its been almost a week and the lowest temperature achieved so far has been 25.4C

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_20140307_082152.jpg

But, 25.4C is a fine temperature for koi growth and metabolism... so much better than, say, 28C.

Are you able to determine the electric consumption for the fans?
    nivek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    But, 25.4C is a fine temperature for koi growth and metabolism... so much better than, say, 28C.

Are you able to determine the electric consumption for the fans?
    Yes agree. The kois are bulking nicely and I'm seeing better skin as well on top of being extremely hungry all the time. Power for the fans are really low as each of them are rated at 44Watts.

I have increased the water flow into the system to see how low I can go in this hot 34C spell.

Hi Nivek, looks like you're doing something right. A thought came to me just now. Can we tap the lower temp of the subsurface to cool the pond water? Instead of using pvc pipe, could we be using a heat conductive pipe like stainless or aluminum so the water gets cooled by heat exchange with the lower subsurface temperature? I'm not yet factoring the cost in just yet but just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Hi Nivek, looks like you're doing something right. A thought came to me just now. Can we tap the lower temp of the subsurface to cool the pond water? Instead of using pvc pipe, could we be using a heat conductive pipe like stainless or aluminum so the water gets cooled by heat exchange with the lower subsurface temperature? I'm not yet factoring the cost in just yet but just thinking out loud.
    Hi yerrag, yes technically its possible. You may design fin like structures similar to the aluminium cooling fins of a CPU (only bigger) and place them in your return filter chamber linked to the subsurface temp (Peltier cooling system). However having said that, I found fans to be more effective on my pico marine tank than the peltier cooler.

On a plus side I achieved 25.1C today midday with ambient temp at 35C. It only rose to a 25.7C max. By tomorrow morning, I'm expecting it to breach the 25C mark and hit mid 24C

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_20140311_123911.jpg

In a pond with circulation and aeration, there will not be temperature variations. The ground temperature is lower in the tropical climate, so the circulating water is cooled by the currents along the sides and bottom, and warmed by surface contact (where oxygenation occurs) with the warmer air.

Ok looks like I've hit the lowest possible temp with this setup at 25.0C (highest ambient temp for the day was 35C). That's quite a significant chill effect (10C difference) for something that uses less than 100Watts power consumption per hour. Once our hot season passes, I should be seeing low 20's for the pond

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_20140312_082856.jpg

25C is a very good temperature. Quite an accomplishment at that electrical use.

Thanks Mike. I'm hoping this will help others living in similar climates as myself as a cost effective chilling method.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    Thanks Mike. I'm hoping this will help others living in similar climates as myself as a cost effective chilling method.
    Thanks for sharing Bro Nivek. I am still concern though of a 90 percent pond shade with regards to the development of the beni. I am a firm believer koi that gets early morning sunlight is very good.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast