Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Excellent water. I remember now a previous thread about your water. Don't you think the zero nitrate has a lot to do with your goshiki developing sumi nicely?
    Yea maybe that could be it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    Yea maybe that could be it. Thanks
    I doubt it.
    Speaking of zero nitrate, personally i dont trust a zero nitrate reading in a concrete pond with high koi to water ratio. I am unable to determine if i need to do more or less water change and im also unable to determine if i am overfeeding or not cleaning the filters enough.
    Interestingly i have a friend who does not change water in his overstocked pond. Cleans the filter every four to six months only. Water is crystal clear. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates is zero. Koi never get sick but koi grow super slow and they lack shine. Water also is not "sparkling" fresh compared to other ponds that were more greenish, higher nitrate levels and where koi were growing like weed with very healthy skin.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    I doubt it.
    Speaking of zero nitrate, personally i dont trust a zero nitrate reading in a concrete pond with high koi to water ratio. I am unable to determine if i need to do more or less water change and im also unable to determine if i am overfeeding or not cleaning the filters enough.
    Interestingly i have a friend who does not change water in his overstocked pond. Cleans the filter every four to six months only. Water is crystal clear. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates is zero. Koi never get sick but koi grow super slow and they lack shine. Water also is not "sparkling" fresh compared to other ponds that were more greenish, higher nitrate levels and where koi were growing like weed with very healthy skin.
    We should start another thread on nitrates and effect on sumi. Nivek's goshiki makes a good case that goshiki can still develop well in tropical climate. Whatever the reason, I am less inclined to say it's the goshiki's genes that makes it stand apart from other goshiki from the same batch. Unless someone has successfully grown goshiki in nitrate-laden water in tropical climate, I believe minimizing nitrate levels is key to good sumi development in whatever koi, goshiki included.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Very curious. I am only aware of two ways to get zero detectable nitrate in an established koi pond... constant flow water changes and anaerobic activity.

When someone says they have no ammonia, nitrite nor nitrate, I figure the test kit is out of date or not properly used.

Yea mine is constant water flow changes and test kits are good coz I need them for my marine tanks which are more sensitive to nitrates. The bakki shower helps in getting rid of nitrates as well.

Let me start a thread on nitrates and sumi development.

Hi Nivek, I just realized something. It would be better to just get new water rather than pond water for the mister. Since you're on trickle flow, and you're already using lots of water, it makes little difference water consumption-wise. But new water mist would keep bugs from being sprayed onto the pond area. At the very least, there's no yuck factor thinking you're spraying a mist of bacteria-laden water into your face:-)

Hi yerrag, I am using new water direct from the tap.

My bad. Must have imagined reading something earlier that was otherwise.

The lowest temp ever achieved so far after implementation : 23.3C My pond temp now hovers around 24-25C throughout the day.

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_2106515542888.jpeg

Hi Nivek. What's the ambient temp in Penang these days? I hope to have misters by April, our summer season. That would be where it would make the most impact. Hoping I could use the water utility's main pressure of 35psi to power the misters so I won't have to use electric fans. I'm bracing for rolling blackouts this summer as our power utilities are projected to fall short of meeting power demand next year.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast