Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans

It has been extremely hot over the last few weeks so I decided to do something about it. Fixed a few misting nozzles to the top of my pond cover and have 2 high speed fans (thermostat controlled) blowing right across the pond surface. Just fixed the nozzles today so will have to see the effect tomorrow. Ambient temperature is around 33 degrees celcius. (Since the time I started this article, the temp has rose to 35C - 11 Mar)

Tosai_Sunny likes this.

Looking forward to your results after just a day.

Overnight temp dropped to 25.9C. Will continue to monitor the next few days and update

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_20140228_081801.jpg

Very good. I doubt this approach will prove to be able to do what a chiller can do, but if it can materially reduce high temperatures at a reasonable cost, it may well catch on. Makes me wonder why it hasn't been a topic of discussion before.

Nisai
    Where do you live?

Oyagoi
    i thought there was some post by Ray Jordan from Texas running mister for his pond in summer ???

Katie: I believe Nivek is in Malaysia.

Ray uses a mister system. I believe it is more to make it comfortable to be around the pond in Texas heat than cooling the pond water. I wonder if it has an effect on water temperature?

Mike, you're right I'm from Penang, Malaysia. The recent increased in electricity tariff has made installing a chiller not a viable option so I thought up of this system, copying the concept from my marine tank which has a fan being able to pull down its temp to below 25C. However that's indoors and only on a 5 gal pico tank.

So misters were added to increase the effectiveness of the evaporative cooling method due to the sheer volume of the pond compared to the tank. I took the liberty to measure the air temp at the surface as compared to the ambient temp and am pleased that it was around 24.6C vs 33C. That's a huge difference for me as the humidity over here is quite high at 70 and misters tend to work better in lower humidity areas.

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_20140302_050659.jpg

So far after 2 days of testing, the results have been pretty encouraging as my pond temp no longer exceeds 27C even on such a hot spell. The lowest I have obtained so far was 25.7C but I increased the amount of mist yesterday so hope to see better results today.

Bringing down pond temperature with misting nozzles and fans-img_20140302_050809.jpg

Water to the mister is supplied directly through my daily water trickle in so there was no need for an additional pump and no water loss from the pond.

Interesting. I've been trying to wrap my head around how this works. ???? I get that the mist is cooling the surrounding air. But I get lost on how the mist would affect the pond water temperature. I can reason that the fan is cooling the water through evaporative cooling, but how does the mist come into play??? I'm curious if the results would be congruant without the misting. It's a paradox of sorts- the mist is actually increasing the humidity, and therefore reducing the efficiency of the evaporative cooling process. Kinda weird.

Glad you are seeing the results you hoped for.

Tks. Basically without mist, I'm blowing 33C air over the pond surface vs 24.6C air with mist. Therefore the improved cooling effect. Similar as cooling down a tank in an air conditioned room vs one without.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast