Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Zero nitrates and sumi development

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Yerrag, one thing to keep in mind about Goshiki today is that there has been a lot of Kohaku bred into them to obtain better Hi. So, while Goshiki have a genetic root in Asagi, it is more attenuated than a couple of decades ago.

Some years ago, I would have said that there was no reason to think the factors influencing sumi would differ between varieties. I think that would still likely be true generally. However, my experience with my Chagoi lightening in cooler water and darkening in warmer water has reminded me that generalities are seldom entirely true. Sometimes we just have not learned the exceptions.
    And so it is. We think we know it. Yet again we don't. We've formulated some guidelines. Then comes an exception. And another. Then we find peace, accepting guidelines as ephemeral. Ommm. But you get to be zen after all the confusion and be like Mike

Yerrag, I might actually consider getting a kumonryu to experiment. Just to share some of my sumi development.

Zero nitrates and sumi development-img_20140315_150052.jpg

Zero nitrates and sumi development-shiro-development2-1.jpg

Zero nitrates and sumi development-img_20140316_062623.jpg

Throwing in a chagoi

Zero nitrates and sumi development-marusei-chagoi2-1.jpg

His referral to polishing was a mechanical trapping of fines. the fact he used silica sand was the reason the sumi popped....

I thought Chagois loose color also when they dont feed color food and dont receive enough sunlight.?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    His referral to polishing was a mechanical trapping of fines. the fact he used silica sand was the reason the sumi popped....
    Is it possible to have soft water for better beni with silica polishing for sumi development? Also will silica increase chances of shimi?

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Is it possible to have soft water for better beni with silica polishing for sumi development? Also will silica increase chances of shimi?
    I have read about minerals causing a specific type of shimmi. The are extremely dark black and round. They are written about in the book koi vol 1. I have never been able to find out what mineral causes this...as I do get them in my pond. I have often suspected iron..but, have no way to prove it. I wonder if silica could cause this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    Yerrag, I might actually consider getting a kumonryu to experiment. Just to share some of my sumi development.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140315_150052.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	39221

Name:	shiro-development2-1.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	39222

Name:	IMG_20140316_062623.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	39219

Throwing in a chagoi

Name:	marusei-chagoi2-1.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	39220
    Don't bother with the kumonryu experiment. I already tried it. I had 6 kumonryu from the same breeder. Some got dark, some got light...it almost seemed like it was completely random. They would change with season and temperature...and if the wind blew sideways

What happened to the head of the tancho? Is it the picture...or did it get extremely pointy?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Don't bother with the kumonryu experiment. I already tried it. I had 6 kumonryu from the same breeder. Some got dark, some got light...it almost seemed like it was completely random. They would change with season and temperature...and if the wind blew sideways

What happened to the head of the tancho? Is it the picture...or did it get extremely pointy?
    Haha will skip the kumonryu then. As for the tancho sanke, it developed locked jaw and have since been culled.

I figured it was something like that. Of all the kumonryu I had...the best one was a surprise. It was all white with one little black sumi spot. That one developed awesome and won it's class.

Here is a development shot of that koi. Also...some other kumonryu, beni kumonryu and matsukawabake I experimented with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zero nitrates and sumi development-kumonryuminex6.jpg   Zero nitrates and sumi development-kumonryu08dev.jpg   Zero nitrates and sumi development-kumonryux6.jpg  

Spectacular changes on the kumonryus. Looks like a different koi with each change.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast