Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How fast can a koi grow?need advice

Fry

How fast can a koi grow?need advice

I want to start koi pond but I'm kinda confuse what size of koi should i get(smaller one or bigger which is very expensive)?
    if I'm to get a 4-7" koi how fast can it grow?
    and how long before they reach mature enough to be breeder?
    im planning to use growth koi food from aqua master (and color enhancer).
    my pond size is 1.5m x 3-3.5m with 4 feet deep(also got water filtration).

Quote Originally Posted by KeiNiño View Post
    I want to start koi pond but I'm kinda confuse what size of koi should i get(smaller one or bigger which is very expensive)?
    if I'm to get a 4-7" koi how fast can it grow?
    im planning to use growth koi food from aqua master (and color enhancer).
    my pond size is 1.5m x 3-3.5m with 4 feet deep(also got water filtration).
    What size of koi you get would depend on your objective. How fast a particular koi grows would depend on the koi's genetic, water condition, food, water temperature and stocking level.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    What size of koi you get would depend on your objective. How fast a particular koi grows would depend on the koi's genetic, water condition, food, water temperature and stocking level.
    fish size: 4-7"
    food:aqua master growth & enhancer
    pond size: 1.5m x 3-3.5m
    deep: 4 feet
    im not sure on water condition but i live on a country(Philippines also same as u) with 2 weathers (sunny/rainy)

fish size: 4-7"
    food:aqua master growth & enhancer
    pond size: 1.5m x 3-3.5m
    deep: 4 feet
    im not sure on water condition but i live on a country(Philippines also same as u) with 2 weathers (sunny/rainy)
    Koi can grow up to 70cm as a two year old or they may not grow at all. Like I said genetics, water quality, water temperature, food all play an important part if the koi just survive or thrive. Learning quality in this hobby is also another important aspect aside from growth.
    Btw, water quality does not mean just quality of your source water but also how you as a koi keeper maintain the best possible water quality for growth. Remember that gin clear water does not mean also healthy water.
    Do remember genetics contribute more than 70 percent of success.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    but also how you as a koi keeper maintain the best possible water quality for growth. Remember that gin clear water does not mean also healthy water.
    Do remember genetics contribute more than 70 percent of success.
    i really don't get what you really mean since im new on this hobby.
    but i got water filtration and air pumps on my pond.

i really don't get what you really mean since im new on this hobby.
    but i got water filtration and air pumps on my pond.
    We all start as newbie and learn. You have the advantage of learning from forums like this which will advance your learning curve. Good luck and happy koi keeping.!

KeiNino: The koi hobby is a life time of learning. Nobody ever knows everything. You may start with your goal simply being to keep some pretty koi alive. Your goal may evolve to grow them to be 60 cm, and by the time you are accomplishing that goal you have already moved to wanting to raise show koi. At every stage, whatever direction you go in, there will be new things to learn.

I strongly recommend that you start with small koi that are affordable. If one or more dies as you learn how to keep them, it is best it not be one that seems expensive to you.

As Sacicu says, how large a small one will grow depends on a lot of things. I would suggest that you assume that a 6" koi will be 16" in a year. And, 20" in two years. In the warmth of the Phillipines, they might grow even bigger. So, do not buy a lot of little ones. They will become too crowded and end up with health issues. I would suggest that you get at least 3 because that is a good number for them to socialize; and no more than 5, because after they grow the pond will become too crowded. After you learn more about filtration, water changes and much more, you may want to keep a different number. But, make a promise to yourself: For one year, I will not have more than 5 koi in the pond. ....More new koikeepers become frustrated and leave the hobby because they overstocked than any other reason.

Next: Learn about 'new pond syndrome'. Until then, do not buy any koi. You can search this forum for 'syndrome' and 'nitrification' and learn a lot about getting a pond started.

Good luck!

many male koi become sexually mature at two years of age while normal for females to produce eggs is 3. Such a young female has smaller eggs
    to start with so many times the young are not as strong as when she is say 6 or 7 because of the increased egg size.

In addition to the good advice shared about new ponds and the filtration system, it's also good to understand for growth the relationship to water temperature and small frequent feedings. When the pond is stabilized and the filter aged, keep in mind that all the user groups ie fish, bacteria take needs from the water and it needs to be refreshed with frequent water changes.
    Dick Benbow

Fry
    i think i forgot to mention im not really totally newbie when it comes to raising a fish or to simply keep it alive.
    i really just want to know more about koi raising and stuffs related to koi's.

Nisai

Growing Koi

i think i forgot to mention im not really totally newbie when it comes to raising a fish or to simply keep it alive.
    i really just want to know more about koi raising and stuffs related to koi's.

Well I am newbee too but here goes ....

Go and select a small koi which you like -if you are buying from a dealer or local breeder - ask for jumbo potential (if you want to try to grow real big ).
    If its from a pet shop they might not be able to answer correctly -so just pic a good looking one .

First get "a single smaller " koi , if you if you are starting fresh there is no sense in "quarantine" - Float the bag in the pond - Mix small quantities of pond water in the bag over half an hour (This makes sure that the koi gets adjusted to your water parameters)- and then release the Koi only into the water (thus avoiding any parasite eggs in the aquarium water ....

This would be your test koi

Now you can monitor your water parameters over a 2 -3 weeks with test kits and if your filters are working well - you can add one or 2 more ... and then two more (max ) after two more weeks .

Only the breeder (or an expert familiar with the bloodline )will be able to tell if a koi is Male or female when they are young and you cant be 100% sure. So much for breeding,so if you end up with an all male or all female set ...you might just need to invest on a bigger koi at that stage .

Mow if your filtration is good and temperatures are tropical you can feed upto 3% body weight and you can reach a good size in a short time ..But you still have to do a major water change so that parameters are maintained ..

If your filtration is bad then you will want to feed the standard 1% body weight only or fix the filter ...

There is a treasure-load of information in this site but you really have to spend time reading the old posts .

I have tried to put some of the information to consolidate on our blog Koi Fish in India ,Buy them Grow them ,if in doubt ask us it is specific for India but I think the climate matches so might work out for you too ...

When the Daihonmei (MikeM, Dick Benbow ) speak its with practically years of experience in the koi Hobby
    and if i were you I would track sacicu down in your country and "make him an offer that he cannot refuse" and make him teach him teach me....
    Water Quality Parameters (you will need to by a test kit ( test strips are available in aquarium stores(or online) which will test most in parameters in a single dip )

Ammonia : Ideally 0
    Nitrate: Ideally at < 80 ppm. Limit to max 200 ppm.
    Nitrite: Ideally at 0 ppm. Limit to max3 ppm.
    Hardness: about 100 ppm. Limit at 50 ppm min./150 ppm max.
    pH: Ideally at 7.2-7.6 Limit at 6.5 min./8.2 max.

If you need any clarification ,please do feel free to reply ...

Regards,
    KK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast