Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: World Record Tosai: 7 million yen

World Record Tosai: 7 million yen

You may have already heard the news. With all the discussion about tosai lately, I thought I'd post about it anyway.

At the Dainichi auction held on April 22, a 40cm guaranteed female Showa tosai sold for 7 million yen, or approximately $68,300.00, setting a new record (as far as anyone knows) for a tosai. Narita acted as dealer with the purchaser being Koi Kichi Fish Farm in Thailand. Anyone interested in acquiring the Showa should contact Koi Kichi Fish Farm. (If you want their telephone number, check on Facebook.) ....I wonder if KKFF paid Narita the usual 20% commission?.... $13,700 +/- in this case. It's a tough day's work being at the Dainichi auction. ...Surely they had a special arrangement of some sort???... perhaps not.

A link to the tosai:

The 6th Dainichi koi farm auction 2014/Special/002_40cm_Blue

If the link does not work, perhaps someone can post the photo (Special Koi #2).

The Showa is really quite remarkable, and at 40cm (16") one can have a much better idea about the fish than if she was the typical 20-25cm tosai. This is where having been raised to jumbo tosai size creates the opportunity to see the future more clearly.

Still, she is just tosai. It would be a daring acquisition for a hobbyist. For a dealer to acquire it and already be offering her for sale is amazing.... Really, just amazing. There are a few people in the world who would spend far more on a custom Mazerati they drive only a few miles per month. So, there should not be a suprise that someone believes a hobbyist will come along willing to pay more to own her. Presumably she will be kept in Japan (at Narita Koi Farm, I would guess), and groomed to compete in the Shinkokai All-Japan Show in the year 2019 or so. By then, there will have been well over $100,000 invested in her and if she goes on to claim GC, the total cost will be probably less than half of what it would likely cost to buy a GC ringer 'off the shelf' today. But, if she proves to be anything less than an All-Japan GC, nobody can really win in the end, except Dainichi which did well on a tosai and has no risk going forward. Someone believes there are enough optimists to make this record sum a sensible business decision.

When the Great Recession spilled over into Europe, with recession and debt crises dragging so many down, it was said that the 'dragon economies' of Asia would be the saviour of the Japanese koi breeders. It is still true.

When I heard what Koi Kichi Fish Farm paid for the Dainichi Showa tosai, it reminded me of Arby's buying Pharrell's hat on eBay for $44,100.

Businesses do crazy things for publicity.

That's a text-book pattern for the just about 'perfect Showa' if I've ever seen one. You couldn't draw one up much better looking if you sat down with a sketch pad to do it. Coupled with a classic beefy Showa body form and thick tail-tube, etc., it really doesn't get much better.

Not knowing anything about the genetics of 'Blue', my only concern would be the already highly developed sumi. Even at a massive 40 cm as a tosai, at that age there's every likelihood she's still not 'finished' in many ways, including pattern. Should the sumi 'run' and expand too much of the beni, her value will drop. But if she grows as promised and keeps a pattern even close to this one -- look out All-Japan Show if and when she tips 80 cm!

MCA
    What do you think is the probability of that koi leaving Narita's care...or leaving Japan?

Anywhere from little to none I would guess.

Nisai
    the Link doesn't work .. somebody pls post a picture ...

We all got to see this .....

-KK

Quote Originally Posted by KK.Menon View Post
    the Link doesn't work .. somebody pls post a picture ...
    We all got to see this .....
    -KK

That is a lot of dough for a tosai! I have another hobby that involves collecting gals as well, but if I were to spend nearly $70K, I could at least get 8-10 of these.....

And hopefully, they won't change much in their old age.....

As nice as the tosai is, I still wonder why it wasn't kept to grow further by the breeder. Is it an expensive cull? Or is it a calculated risk by the breeder? Can't help agreeing with Mike that the winner here is Dainichi. It's great money and prestige to bag a lot of cash for a tosai. If it fails you just don't hear of it. If it develops as hoped for, and it wins Japan GC, it makes for bidding tosai more lucrative than ever.

I also wonder if you have a good eye in sizing up tosai and just enough money to burn (meaning you don't throw away good money), would you bid this much? Buying a tosai I'd have to imagine its potential forming at the back of my mind and hoping my imagination serves me right. This tosai looks money to me at first glance, but I would need to not let my imagination run wild as my imagination fulfilled would not serve me well. I would hope it stays as it is and go on to bag GC.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    As nice as the tosai is, I still wonder why it wasn't kept to grow further by the breeder.
    You are right on! What does the breeder see that the normal hobbiest, OR even well funded hobbiest doesn't see. I guess in the breeders eyes, this fish maybe too finished and probably will mature too soon in order to compete with the BIG gals in the GC arena. I'm sure anyone would still love to have this specimen in their pond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast