Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Curious Stuff Hobbyists Do

Curious Stuff Hobbyists Do

As I visit different koi boards, I find that hobbyists do all sorts of things that make little sense. I don't mean making newbie mistakes. Those are understandable. It's the things that really are illogical if one thinks about it. Sometimes I chuckle over it. Sometimes I find it frustrating that someone could be so obtuse. And, sometimes I see myself 20 years ago.

One frequent irrational act is to post photos of a koi, ask for 'what you really think about it' and then get upset if someone does not think the koi amounts to much. So, why ask?

More irrational is the person who posts photos of a koi 'my dealer has on their website' and asking what folks think of the koi or the price, but they go ahead and purchase it without waiting for any responses. ...Or, they get only negative responses and go ahead and purchase it 'because I so like the pattern' or 'because I've always wanted one'. Folks addicted to koi do irrational things.

A less obvious one is the hobbyist looking to breeders for how to raise koi. What is done by a breeder to keep koi over winter has little or nothing to do with keeping koi in a pond year-round. Breeders can educate the hobbyist about what a breeder does... caring for mud ponds, selecting oyagoi, culling, etc. As a group, they are not the best source of information for keeping koi in a backyard pond. Of course, there are exceptions.... The ones with specialized growing facilities for raising up show koi know a great deal, and even if few hobbyists can afford their approach, there is something to be learned. For example, the hobbyist may not be able (or willing) to devote 5,000 gallons per koi, have a minimum 10% daily continuous in-flow of fresh water and turnover the pond volume once per hour through huge filter systems, but we can learn that water quality is a huge part of success. But, why would I want to copy Isa's winter greenhouse conditions year-round?

Then there is the penchant to acquire the latest gizmo. These go through periods of popularity. Sieves have been a big thing and drum filters are coming along strong. These are pieces of equipment that work well, but not necessarily better than what is already installed on the hobbyist's pond. Some folks do seem to have water filtration as a hobby, with koikeeping being the excuse for playing with equipment. Of course, the real problem is all the gizmos and water additives that do no good or little good, but folks who know they need to do more water changes will still spend money on the things in the hope that it will not be the waste of money the last additive proved to be.

In an entirely different league is the person who wants a natural look, with waterlillies in the pond, bog plants at the edges, and adds algaecides weekly because they don't want algae on the pretty natural rock. I do not think of these folks as koi hobbyists. They are irrational idealists unable to find contentment.

So many silly things we do. LOL.... just thought of something irrational I continue to do.

The one I liked the best Mike, was the food topics. Lots of interesting irrationality there as well. I think the one that "tickled" me the most was the concept that the koi just ate it up and loved it!

Yes, I agree with you on your last comment, it is irrational that we continue to comment here and other places. Maybe we can be excused if we referr
    to this practice as an "addiction". Thanks for sharing your thoughts, gave me a smile to start my day.....

I'm still trying to hit the jackpot so that I can afford one of them 20 million yen kois

So many silly things we do. LOL.... just thought of something irrational I continue to do. [/QUOTE]

Good topic lol At the age of 77 at -25c walked 90 yards through 3ft snow at midnight to put more wood on stove in greenhouse as power was off.
    Regards
    Eugene

I am guilty of trying to rig more and more current/circulation in the ponds and even adding media within the cycle. I want a clean bottom, so I try to keep the debris moving to the bottom drains (as fast as I can get it there). I've been contemplating hooking up a separate pump just to move for water around the pond; although the koi may not get any peace with the increased currents constantly running in the pond.

What is the cure for irrationality? Who can you recommend for koi bipolar disorder? Anybody? Should we have intervention for some fellow forum member diagnosed with it?

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    What is the cure for irrationality? Who can you recommend for koi bipolar disorder? Anybody? Should we have intervention for some fellow forum member diagnosed with it?
    It is a highly beneficial disorder as it keeps other disorders at bay. Who has not been accused by his wife of paying more attention to his Koi?
    Just imagine Tiger Woods with Koi Bipolar disorder. He would still be married, be a champion golf player and the Dainchi tosai would be in the USA.
    You may show this to your wife if you would like to add another koi to your collection lol
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    It is a highly beneficial disorder as it keeps other disorders at bay. Who has not been accused by his wife of paying more attention to his Koi?
    Just imagine Tiger Woods with Koi Bipolar disorder. He would still be married, be a champion golf player and the Dainchi tosai would be in the USA.
    You may show this to your wife if you would like to add another koi to your collection lol
    Regards
    Eugene
    I hear you Eugene. Tiger would be collecting koi and would never have developed another disorder :O

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    The one I liked the best Mike, was the food topics. Lots of interesting irrationality there as well. I think the one that "tickled" me the most was the concept that the koi just ate it up and loved it!
    ... How about the little samples of food folks use to see if it would be good to switch to a new brand? Does anybody really think they can figure out if a food is good based on one snack? It must work, because food manufacturers keep giving away those little samples.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ... How about the little samples of food folks use to see if it would be good to switch to a new brand? Does anybody really think they can figure out if a food is good based on one snack? It must work, because food manufacturers keep giving away those little samples.
    Well Mike, they used a scientific system of testing and polling human subjects and figured koi are human too. So why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast