Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lanquage pronunciation struggle

lanquage pronunciation struggle

One of the guys in our koi club can't pronounce Utsuri. the closest he comes to it is "oots-cheery".

I was thinking about using it as a mystery writers name in a column in our club's newsletter. ( presently i use my name but under the header
    "Bubbles from the bottom of the Pond". -think Beno would work on Carp?)

Was wondering if anyone else out there has seen the humor in a lost translation and would share the chuckle. ( we can't have serious stuff
    exclusively on the board-or should we?)

Boy what I'd give to be celebrating the 4th with mike T....huli-huli chicken on the grill no less! with really fresh pinneapple!!

Jumbo
    Dick

Not a koi specific but have you seen the movie 'Lost in Translation'?

I think the film perhaps overated but i felt an affinity with it.

Anyone thats spent time in Japan will i am sure get what i mean!!

I love the scene at the photo shoot!!

Mark

never heard of it! think i could find it at the rental place? who starred in it and how long ago was it? let me know Mark.....sounds interesting

Jumbo
    Bill Murray and Scarlet Johanson (sp?)

It was up at this years oscars, just out on DVD over this side of pond.

http://www.lost-in-translation.com/

fags vs cigarettes.

Not really a translation problem but a living example of two nations divided by a common language.

In 1975 I took a vaction with two friends to Florida. One of them and myself decided to quit smoking at the start of the trip.

We lasted about 3 days and we were in a bar with two girls in a hotel on Collins ave, Miami when we decided to relent.

Seeking advice, my friend asked his female companion in good British English "Do they sell fags here?"

The bartender, who we later found out was clearly aware of this English term, boomed out "You guys want fags!" which promptly got the attention of the entire bar.

To which I replied innocentlly, "Yeah, we haven't had one in three days and we're getting desperate".

After extracting the maximum amout of laughter from the situation the barman produced a pack of cigarettes and asked (loudly) "Is this what you mean?"

rgds Bern
    South East Koi Club

Bern in an earlier post I sai I beleived you compete in the states with their last comedian standing contest. the preceeding story just synched it!

Thank-you for sharing that, it was priceless!

Mark, Thanks for the DVD information, murray is a funny guy and I could imagine it woulkd be well worth the investment. I'll look it up and find it "this side of the pond"

I was once in a British Book shop just about noon. The sales woman walked up to us and said "goodmorning" We had been in there for about 20 minutes so it seemed a bit ood, but OK, I replied "Good morning" back and went on looking she walked behind us and restated her previous phrase "good morning"

"Yeah I know... Good morning, thank you!"

This Happened about three more time with me becoming ever more confused as to what this woman wanted until she finally added "We are about to close for lunch"
    "Why didn't you say that in the first place instead of the constant greating?"

"Not civilized" was her reply.
    B.Scott

Jumbo
    The Brits are a VERY polite people! When in Japan with a group of them, I never fail to hear, at least once - one will say to our Japanese host in a nervous, self conscious but polite way---" DOMO, DOMO very much" ! JR

Thank-you Scott, thank-you JR! I have been enjoying the humor shared here! it's been fun! hope there is still some more out there....

Tategoi
    Dick:

As you know, "Arigato gaimasu", means Thank You in Nihon-go, while "do itashimashite" means "You're welcome"...

When I first moved to Japan, I had trouble saying "do itashimashite" so one of my Japanese friends told me to say "Don't touch my mustace" really fast and softly...either it worked, or the Japanese were too polite to correct me... :shock:

Another memory from Japan...The Japanese have a way with the English Language...for instance, one brand of toilet paper is called "Fanny Wipes"... :lol:

Aloha! Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast