Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Karashi Shigure

Karashi Shigure

I know nothing about this supposed new variety. The Sakura grand prize winner at the Shinkokai All-Japan Show is labeled as being a 'Karashi Shigure'. The fish is proudly displayed in the Konishi Koi Farm ad on the back cover of the March issue of Nichirin (just received at my house). The fish is a white Chagoi with a few yellow patches on her head, yellowish pectoral fins and yellow-orange scales showing on her flanks in a Kanoko-like fashion. I do not care for the particular fish at all. She has scab markings like what you see when anchor worms has been pulled off, and the white ground is as coarse as any shiromuji found in a flock spawn. She does have wonderful Chagoi-type body form and at 97cm had to be impressive for her bulk.

I assume 'Karashi Shigure' are a white ground koi with yellow markings. However, I have no idea if that is correct. Would yellow markings on a gray ground also be a 'Karashi Shigure'? I presume Konishi produced the fish and gave her a new varietal name. Are there other specimens? Or, is this a one-off unique koi?

Anyone who can shed light on 'Karashi Shigure', please do so.

While I do not care for this particular fish (and do not understand awarding the Sakura grand prize to her), I do find the possibility of a new variety exciting. This is not a KOhaku with bad beni. Among nishikigoi, yellow is a rather special color. It is usually ephemeral, becoming orange with age as in Ki Utsuri. Midorigoi can be a beautiful, bright yellow for a time, but usually end up as dirty, smudged fish of indeterminate coloration. The exceptions are always much appreciated. The two yellow hued varieties that have proved reliable are Yamabuki and Karashigoi. (Please do not confuse the numerous pale color variants labeled as 'Karashigoi' with the true mustard-yellow version that originated the variety.) Being single color koi, they are not as appreciated as they might otherwise be, but they sure are popular. A white ground color with yellow markings is whole new territory, if the variety can be repeated and if the yellow pigment remains yellow. And, if specimens more worthy than this scabby, splotchy, kanoko mess can be regularly produced, Ochiba Shigure may have to share popularity.

Are there any U.S. dealers who regularly go to Konishi?

For those of you who do not get Nichirin magazine.

Tora Bora likes this.

Thanks for posting Rick. I as well fail to appreciate the beauty in these Koi. The yellow is not as vibrant as the yamabuki. In fact, the ones I've seen are rather more of a massive blob of pale yellow where size is the only exceptional thing about it. Maybe it's redeeming grace is in its friendliness? Would appreciate if someone can share positive insights on the karashigoi a I see them as nothing more than as filler for a desolate pond.

Looking at the photo it appears that the shigure has under developed yellow pigments and similar to yerrag, I fail to appreciate the color/pattern.

I actually like it better than the Karashigoi. From my understanding, Shigure can be defined in many contexts, including "drizzling" and "coming into Fall". So it is the Shigure that is unique to this koi. Part of the appeal for me is also the pecs- a rainbow of ki and the white margins really pull it in.

Personally, I'd like to see some experiments with the addition of sumi, wrapped or lateral to the mustard colour.

Would a Karashi Utsuri simply be a Ki Utsuri with a better body?... or a Karashi Shigure Utsuri becomes a Ki Showa?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Would a Karashi Utsuri simply be a Ki Utsuri with a better body?... or a Karashi Shigure Utsuri becomes a Ki Showa?
    Hey Mike, now you sound like me....careful! lol...

Allow me to play Devil's advocate for a few minutes...with regard to how this koi may have been selected with the circumstances you mentioned above.

-Regardless of what it is called, it is going to be judged Kawarigoi.
    -All Japan Show - Judged by Shinkokai - Breeders judging their own koi??
    -Probably won by shear size??
    -In order to play Monday morning quarterback, it would be interesting to see what other Koi were competing against it.

But I agree with you Mike, for me personally, does not do a lot for me. (scary huh?) lol

Sansai
    I liked Rics posting not for the Sakura , but for having posted the photograph . Difficult to understand why it won a title . Yes, it does have good pecs as well as being a full bodied mermaid :-) That's about it .

Sakura Award - (17 awards) awarded to the best non-Gosanke (Shiro Utsuri also excluded) in each size classification.
    Sakura Champion is also awarded to best Sakura.

from niigata-nishikigoi.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast