Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Air diffuser tubing

Fry

Air diffuser tubing

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this tubing?
    High Efficiency Antimicrobial Diffuser Tubing, by the foot
    I have never used it before so I am not sure how buoyant it is. I have the weighted air tubing connected to my diffusers but would that be all I need. I have some matala diffusers about 24" long right now but am about ready to replace them. What do you suggest? I am new to the bubblers last year and am not real experienced so I am needing a little advice about this tubing if anyone has experienced it and what I would need to make it work. Thanks so much.

I don't know anything about the air diffuser tubing... but AES is offering Free Shipping this month!

It works great. This is the only type of high efficency diffuser tubing that I have been able to find in America that is comparable to what is available and used in Japan. Be sure you get the type that has a blue stripe. It will need to be weighted to sink. I use 5/16 in stainless rod to insert inside the tubing and it will sink and stay on the bottom.

Fry
    Thanks. I may look into that. I just ordered the Matala Diffuser Base 1 w/9-inch Air Disc which is said to be nice, so I'll try that for now but it is nice to know that the High Efficiency Antimicrobial Diffuser Tubing is good though. Where do you get the stainless steel rods to insert? Thanks again.

I use around 5 meters of japanese air hose diffuser (imported from Japan) in my pond supplied by a total of 220lpm of air pump. These airhose are weighed down by stainless rod placed inside. The air bubbles that come out are very fine and they produce very good currents while koi are still able to swim towards the small bubbles. The surface visibility of the pond is much better and so is the oxygen diffusion in the water. If you listen to the sound underwater it is much quiet than the very loud sound a matala circular disc diffuser produces. The only drawback is the need to pull up the airhose diffuser once a week a clean it or else pressure will build up at the airpump as the performance lessen.

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Thanks. I may look into that. I just ordered the Matala Diffuser Base 1 w/9-inch Air Disc which is said to be nice, so I'll try that for now but it is nice to know that the High Efficiency Antimicrobial Diffuser Tubing is good though. Where do you get the stainless steel rods to insert? Thanks again.
    All the big builder supply stores are a large hardware store should have stainless steel rods 3-4 feet long. Longer pieces can be found at steel suppliers.

Fry
    How do you clean yours sacicu?

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    How do you clean yours sacicu?
    Brush, twist and and jet spray will bring it back to 70 - 80% efficiency and will last one to two weeks before you have to do it again.
    Soaking it in high chlorine water for a day and then soaking it sodium thiosulfate water to remove any excess chlorine will bring it back to 85 - 95 efficiency and will last longer than 2 weeks before another cleanup.

I use the blue stripe diffuser hose clipped on a round weighted ring in the bottom of my DIY Moving bed filters filled with kaldeness media. Whenever I can tell the media is starting to churn less I replace with new diffuser hose. This is about once every 18 months or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air diffuser tubing-air-ring.jpg