Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sacicu

Thread: Help, I'm worried that my Koi may be sick! :(

Fry

Unhappy Help, I'm worried that my Koi may be sick! :(

Hello,
    This past spring, our little 5" Orenji Ogon developed a black dot on his tail. It's about the size of one of his scales. We've poured through all of our koi books, and scoured the internet in search of answers, but we still have no clue as to what the mysterious dot means. Any information helps. We're very worried that something might be wrong with our otherwise apparently healthy koi. Pictures of the dot below. Thank you for your help, in advance.

Thats just some stray sumi(black) that has come up. Your koi is fine.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I'm sorry that black spot mars the simple beauty of a single color koi. But, it is nicely centered. With such a young koi, that spot may go away or more may come up. With a few more black spots, your koi will become an Aka Bekko. If the metallic shine remains strong, it will be a Kin Aka Bekko. In the past it was said that sumi rises on the rear of the koi and progresses toward the head. For many koi this remains true, but there are plenty of exceptions. So, no telling what the future holds.

Nisai
    well "Shimi" removal is a controversial topic ,, here is a new video that I found while researching on shimi .And I am not a supporter ..

Regards,
    KK
    Last edited by KK.Menon; 07-03-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by KK.Menon View Post
    well "Shimi" removal is a controversial topic ,, here is a new video that I found while researching on shimi .And I am not a supporter ..

Regards,
    KK
    Shimi removal, niban hi removal (in shiros) and cosmetic surgery to enhance the pattern is such a common thing in Japan and South east asian countries where demand for high quality koi is there that its not even controversial anymore and is acceptable to almost all serious koi hobbyist that purchase high end koi. I myself have ask the dealer once to remove some beni that fell on the cheeck of a sanke before I took it home. Almost all breeders in Japan does it once in a while from removing shimis to real cosmetic surgeries in a few high end koi.
    KK.Menon likes this.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Shimi removal, niban hi removal (in shiros) and cosmetic surgery to enhance the pattern is such a common thing in Japan and South east asian countries where demand for high quality koi is there that its not even controversial anymore and is acceptable to almost all serious koi hobbyist that purchase high end koi. I myself have ask the dealer once to remove some beni that fell on the cheeck of a sanke before I took it home. Almost all breeders in Japan does it once in a while from removing shimis to real cosmetic surgeries in a few high end koi.
    In the how Circuit too ?? or do the old rules apply ...?