Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: light ( and Koi Life)

light ( and Koi Life)

Had a lot on my mind last night and couldn't shut it down, so got up and perused thru some old Koi-Bito magazines. One of the featured personalities interviewed talked about all that it took to win a prestegous title and mentioned the correct amount of light.
    Other than removing my shingled roof on my koi building and replacing with greenhouse type material to flood the pond inside,
    I never considered how much a pond should get. here in my location ( Pacific Northwest) not getting enough light is always a concern.
    In my "other" hobby, Bonsai...my pines never seem to get enough light, save for a few month in summer (july-august) rest of the time cloudy days rule.
    So I know in my case, I do all I can to get as much as mother nature offers. What thoughts do you have on the subject, and if so, what do you do if located where more is too much.
    Dick Benbow

Hi Dick,

I have a 600 gallon q-tank in a shed where I store most of my outside fish stuff. I use a large greenhouse grow light 1000w broad spectrum over the tank on a timer to simulate daylight. It keeps a nice healthy short growth of algae coating the walls and floor of the q-tank. I feel it helps to maintain better color development in newly acquired koi while they go through the quarantine procedure.

Over my main pond I have a pergola that provides about 60% of the sunlight to reach the pond. In South Texas our summer sun is pretty intense and providing some shade definitely helps to keep the water temperature below 85F. Also less chance of sunburn or other skin problems that might be negatively affected by the sun.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

thanks for your input Ray.

Now I have to figure out the correct amount of light????

Tough question.

In my learning curve, I began housing the koi indoors and lost color over the winter. Worked hard and restored it next spring and summer. Didn't take long to decide light had it's balance with color. The sense i got from the article was that coming up with the right amount of light was critical for show preparation. So it is a tough question and one it would be nice to continue to explore.

Interesting discussion. I think about the fish that dwell in the ocean deep and wonder how they manage. Are they simply surviving or are they thriving? And do they have great coloration? And if they are thriving and have great coloration, it must be that the energy they get from light has more to do with the infrared spectrum than the ultraviolet spectrum. Would be interesting to try infrared lighting on koi to see if they get any benefits during indoor winter keeping.

If I buy any small koi, they stay in my indoor tank until they are large enough to put out in the pond outside. I use a pair of 6500K florescent bulbs over the tank. This works well to maintain color on the koi.

I have seen dealers indoor pond where sunlight passes thru just one fiberglass transluscent roofing. Despite being fed with spirulina, color development of young koi kept for a long time is not that good while mature koi with developed beni seem to loose some luster after time. Isnt color food enough with minimal lighting?

Dick,

When you say light, do you mean in relation to pigment? If so, which ones? What about day length and light intensity as they signal season change and can influence such things as fat store and egg development.

Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
    If I buy any small koi, they stay in my indoor tank until they are large enough to put out in the pond outside. I use a pair of 6500K florescent bulbs over the tank. This works well to maintain color on the koi.
    What is distance from surface of water?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast