Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MikeM
  • 1 Post By KK.Menon

Thread: Some advice on quarantine.

Some advice on quarantine.

Hi All

I am going to be bringing fish to Cape Town on a regular basis. never more than a box at a time. I have build a separate quarantine facility - 700litres. 2000 litres per hour turnover, 100litres of kaldness biofilter. 2x heaters and I have a bubble-wrap cover to provide privacy and insulation.

So here is my question. What is the best way to ensure I am getting rid of all the nasties with as few treatments as possible?
    I am a big believer in PPM - is this a solid option? Worried that it might not treat everything.
    Appreciate some input

Thanks Quinton

Hi Quinton,

Why not get a microscope to check if they have any parasites before bombarding them with treatments? I am a strong proponent of targeted treatment, as apposed to a blind shotgun approach with PP. Yes, PP would kill most parasites, but not all. I have successfully used PP for trichodina, but not flukes which are very common parasites infecting koi. The biggest danger that you will face when treating with PP is your water quality. It will kill some bacteria in your filter which will cause ammonia to spike. Since you are going to do this on a regular basis, I would recommend learning how to scrape and scope. A good microscope with monitor will save you a lot of time when doing the biopsy. Just my 2 cents...

Good luck,
    Sunny
    Last edited by Tosai_Sunny; 07-08-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo

For hobbyists, I think Sunny's approach is the right way to go. For dealers bringing in large numbers of koi from different breeders, the only practical approach may be to use PP on every shipment in separate, designated tanks prior to going into acclimation/quarantine ponds. One dealer has told me that he limits acquisitions mainly to two breeders who PP all koi prior to shipment, so he knows thay will be free of the usual suspects when they arrive. Which end of the spectrum are you on?? One box a month with two fish sounds like 'hobbyist'. One box of a hundred tosai every two months sounds like a dealer.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    For hobbyists, I think Sunny's approach is the right way to go. For dealers bringing in large numbers of koi from different breeders, the only practical approach may be to use PP on every shipment in separate, designated tanks prior to going into acclimation/quarantine ponds. One dealer has told me that he limits acquisitions mainly to two breeders who PP all koi prior to shipment, so he knows thay will be free of the usual suspects when they arrive. Which end of the spectrum are you on?? One box a month with two fish sounds like 'hobbyist'. One box of a hundred tosai every two months sounds like a dealer.
    Even I am with Sunny on this , there is no sense in treating if there is no disease But How does this work , rather than using PP in the QT ,wouldn't it more prudent to do a dip of the PP , thereby killing all the parasites and assuring that no water is transferred which could potentially contain parasite eggs ...As discussed in other posts salting also works wondered during Quarantine and some dealers n hobbyists perform stress tests on koi (temp and PH variations) to stimulate any hidden parasites so that they can be identified and treated immediately rather than affect other koi ...
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.