Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Central florida koi show

Unfortunately, Bridge Way has dropped out. But, the ProfiDrum is anticipated to be displayed by Koi Acres.

The good news is that I have one space available for a dry vendor (no fish sales). Excellent location in the center of the atrium.

A first look at the seminars on Saturday:

9 - 9:45 Devin Swanson, Koi Acres – Discussion of koi from the ZNA Judging Seminar: development and future potential

10 - !0:45 Rob Forbis – Koi skin & Gin Rin

11 – 11:45 Joe White – Successful Koi Pond Management, a discussion of factors involved in managing a koi pond

1:30 – 2:30 Dr. Natalie Steckler, University of Florida – Koi and Goldfish Health

2:45 – 3:45 Dr. Thomas Waltzek, University of Florida – Emerging infectious diseases of koi and goldfish

On Friday there is a ZNA judging seminar. Those who miss it can get the 'sequel' at 9:00am on Saturday. Rob Forbis' presentation on skin and ginrin may be a little over the heads of beginners, but no doubt it will be loaded with science-supported detail true kichi will love. Joe White's presentation on pond management will cover the basics and he always seems to mention some idea even old-timers can use at home. Dr. Steckler's presentation on koi health will be well-suited to the novice and advanced koikeeper alike, and Dr. Waltzek's presentation will bring the latest news on emerging diseases straight from the folks who monitor these things in order to protect the aquaculture industry. ....Everyone may learn something they'd prefer not to know, but knowledge allows prevention.
    Last edited by MikeM; 01-21- at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo

Hey Mike, I see that Luanne scheduled me for 45 minutes (I thought I was doing 30!). The talk will only be as technical as the participants want, but I did do some actual koi skin histology a while back and the slides are actually quite interesting (to me anyway). And recent work by the Israeli crystallographers has been quite revealing as to the nature and structure of ginrin and hikarimono. With the possible audience I probably have more questions that their experience and training can answer which will help put the microscope slides and scientific jargon into a better context. Rob

LOL.... Rob, don't worry. With just 30 minutes of solid info, it will be a challenge to not take a full hour.

I can heckle from the back...

A BIG thank you to our award sponsors! Only a few sponsorships remain available.

KOI SHOW TROPHIES

Grand Champion Trophy: SoBe Koi
    Reserve Grand Champion Trophy: The Koi Store
    Botan Champion Award: PentairAES
    Tsubaki Champion Award: $200
    Sakura Champion Award: Tropical Koi Club
    Mature Champion Trophy: Ultra Balance Koi Food
    Ray Jordan Young Champion Trophy: ZNA Southern Koi Association
    Baby Champion Trophy : $200
    Best Male Trophy: Purdin Koi Farm
    Jumbo Champion: $200
    Most Unique: $200
    Best in Size 7: Shirley Stone
    Best in Size 6: Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm
    Best in Size 5: Orlando Koi & Pond Club
    Best in Size 4: Florida East Coast Koi & Pond Club
    Best in Size 3: Bristol Koi Farm
    Best in Size 2: Happy Koi of Greenville
    Best in Size 1: Shirley Stone
    Best Kohaku: Gainesville Koi Club
    Best Sanke: Henry Culpepper
    Best Showa: Michael & Toni Anderson
    Best Shiro Utsuri: Gainesville Koi Club
    Best Hi/Ki Utsuri: $100
    Best Hikarimujimono: Shirley Stone
    Best Hikarimoyomono: Ecological Laboratories
    Best Tancho: Shirley Stone
    Best Asagi/Shusui: Pam and Rick Jokerst
    Best Bekko:$100
    Best Goromo/Goshiki: Pam and Rick Jokerst
    Best Hikari Utsuri: Shirley Stone
    Best Kinginrin A: $100
    Best Kinginrin B: $100
    Best Doitsu: Joe & Sherri White
    Best Kawarigoi: Henry Culpepper
    Best Longfin: Michael & Toni Andersen

GOLDFISH SHOW TROPHIES

Grand Champion: River Garden Nursery
    Reserve Champion: David & Karen Hardcastle
    Baby Champion: David & Karen Hardcastle
    Reserve Baby Champion:
    Novice Award: $75

Best Size 1: River Garden Nursery
    Best Size 2: $50

Best Oranda: $40
    Best Ranchu: $40
    Best Ryukin: $40
    Best Ryukin Short Tail: $40
    Best Topview: $40
    Best Pond Varieties: $40
    Best Special Varieties: $40

Note that we have named the Young Champion award for Ray Jordan in memory of his contributions. I personally hope it is won by someone who has never won an award before. If that should happen, it would be especially fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Note that we have named the Young Champion award for Ray Jordan in memory of his contributions. I personally hope it is won by someone who has never won an award before. If that should happen, it would be especially fitting.
    Yes, very fitting as Ray was a Young Champion of the human kind....

Unfortunately for Mike, I am taking YC with my kick ass Sanke!!! (Well, as a long as he (yes he) doesn't creep into 20.1". Then it's unfortunate for me!)

We are very pleased that we will have distinguished ZNA judges traveling from Japan to judge the show entries:

Mr. Misaji Yamazaki (Certified Judge, Chief Director of the Appreciation and Judging Division)
    Mr. Masahiro Ueda (Certified Judge, Duputy Director of the Appreciation and Judging Division)

They will be accompanied by Yuko Shirako, who is well known to Nichirin readers for her poetic commentaries and diligent administrative work for ZNA internationally.

I'm expecting there will be some wonderful koi entered in all sizes. The potential of such experienced judges selecting your koi for recognition should encourage anyone on the fence to get in their entry form. ....And, please do get in entry forms quickly. We try to accommodate everyone, but it gets increasingly more difficult to arrange for tanks as we get closer to the show... Just 4 weeks away!

The show is one month away. The vendors coming to the show will soon be deciding what they will bring. If you have an interest in a particular product carried by one of the vendors, now is a good time to inquire whether they can bring it to the show for you to examine in person, or to pick up. For items that are expensive to ship, you just might be able to avoid shipping costs, or at least minimize the cost.

Koi dealers will be deciding which koi they will bring. These need to be fasted and made ready for travel well in advance. If there is a koi on their website that interests you, but you really want to see it in person, the dealer may be willing to bring it for your inspection. Or, may be able to deliver to you at the show without as much shipping cost if you have made your decision to purchase. If you ask a dealer to bring a particular fish, or a particular variety, you aren't obligated to buy unless you said you would. But, the dealer is not obligated to hold the fish for you if someone else comes along wanting to buy it. So, to avoid unpleasantness, folks should be clear. If you will not be at the show until Saturday, confirm with the dealer that he will hold it for you to examine until Saturday at, say, 10am. (Then be punctual. Don't be surprised if by 10:30 it is sold to someone else.) There have been more than a few higher-priced koi purchased as a result of being able to see them at the show. However, don't expect a dealer to bring their most expensive koi on speculation. The dealer will have an idea of a price range appropriate for their sales at a show. They may have 100 koi falling in that range, but will bring only ten. The fact that you express interest in a particular fish in advance makes it more likely that will be one of the ten. The dealer is not going to risk transport injury to one of their most high-priced koi just because somebody would like to see it in person. Still, if the dealer plans to bring one high-priced koi to be part of the mix for sale, your expression of interest might influence which one is brought.

There are a lot of koi vendors coming to the show. The CFKS website has a page listing vendors who are coming, with links to their websites. Your favorite dealer may be coming. Contact them in advance, and you just might get to see that photo beauty in the flesh.

BTW, the official opening time is 1pm on Friday, March 13, but some will arrive on Thursday afternoon. Vendors are allowed to sell as soon as they complete setting up. So, think about volunteering to do some chores for the show while waiting for your favorite vendors to arrive. (I can always use some help on Thursday morning filling vendors' tanks, getting tables and chairs distributed to the vendor spaces, etc. I'll be there at . )

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast