Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Central florida koi show

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    sorry I have more questions.reason being is to fully understand as my wife does a lot of the judgeing recording.so just want to make sure of situations if they come up.
    taking the size 4 bekko(insert any other variety) if it won young champion. is this a better award then one of the Sakura,Ttsubaki,Botan champions or it could move up.
    even wondering about adult and mature champions if they move up.

reason asking is keeping track for move ups.
    take the size 4 bekko example.if it won YC. then was moved up .now need to find a different YC and then if size 4 whatever wins now need a another size 4 winner.
    so guess what I am wondering if certain varieties win ,almost need to keep track of 3rd place size 4 koi as it could move up to best size 4.
    just want to make sure I am following right and to help recording.(she uses a lot of little stars and marks to help keep track and help locate koi when move ups start happening)
    If one follows the normal protocol inside a show ring (even questions such as this used to be on old judges' tests and within the USA only)...these situations should not occur as there should have been a meeting usually between the showchair and the judges prior to judging, where these situations are discussed and talked about before hand. Nowadays, these things are sometimes discussed in emails before a show. Most judges receive a "show package" before a show and are able to discuss any potential problems beforehand.

As to how deep to go in the judging, that will vary from show to show, variety to variety and size to size, as it depends on the numbers and the competition on the day. Potomac for example gives out "points" to club members for an award, hence the judges must give values to all koi.

Now, do all shows follow the ideal? Heck no.

But having too many inside the ring talking about moveups, etc, one thing I found is that each judge may have their own system for keeping track of that in each case, which others may not be aware of. Others are use to different "computer" type of recordings and how they work, etc.

Ideally, again by show protocol, and when I worked inside the show ring for all those years, a recorder records, period, and does not get involved in directing the judging process at all.....that is between the showchair (or his rep) and the judges.

But again, each show, each head judge, each judge, each showchair has their own preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    sorry I have more questions.reason being is to fully understand as my wife does a lot of the judgeing recording.so just want to make sure of situations if they come up.
    taking the size 4 bekko(insert any other variety) if it won young champion. is this a better award then one of the Sakura,Ttsubaki,Botan champions or it could move up.
    even wondering about adult and mature champions if they move up.

reason asking is keeping track for move ups.
    take the size 4 bekko example.if it won YC. then was moved up .now need to find a different YC and then if size 4 whatever wins now need a another size 4 winner.
    so guess what I am wondering if certain varieties win ,almost need to keep track of 3rd place size 4 koi as it could move up to best size 4.
    just want to make sure I am following right and to help recording.(she uses a lot of little stars and marks to help keep track and help locate koi when move ups start happening)
    We were the first US show to have Sakura, Tsubaki and Botan awards so we discussed the move up options at our planning meeting. We felt the Best in Size non-gosanke should be considered for those awards but decided to leave a Mature, Adult, Young or Baby Champion in that slot since it would have most likely beat out several high quality gosanke for that award. Every show can handle it as they see fit. That was just our perspective.

Our judging sheets normally have a place to put a Best in Size and a second best since a Best in Size has a high chance of moving up to a higher award (for example, Best in Size 3 and Best in Size 4 are compared to choose Young Champion). If we need a third Best in Size we would go back to the judges and ask them to select a new Best in Size (if they have not already realized they need it).
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Years ago when my local Koi club had an annual young Koi show, the show had NO move-ups. The reason was the Koi show was connected to a County Fair and 1st - 3rd place received cash prizes.
    So Grand Champion and Best in Size kept their First Place Awards.
    In classes where only one Koi was entered, the show committee also gave judges the option to award the Koi a 2nd Place Award if the Koi did not meet show Koi standards (almost never happened).

Oyagoi
    Thanks Henry
    with this being new in the US it is nice to know how this is being handled and if something other clubs might look it how it works.
    also nice to know as a hobbyist how things shake out also.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789