Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Central florida koi show

Central florida koi show

Save the date: March 13-15, at the International Palms Resort in Orlando. ....Dinh is out front already promoting the NorCal Show, so I had to jump in. (And, BTW, the 2016 show will be March 11-13, same place. )

After hosting the AJKA judges at the 2014 show, and holding the biggest goldfish show in the country, I don't know what we can do to make the koi extravaganza in Orlando bigger and better. .... What might we do? Hmmmm... Well, stay tuned. Whatever it is....

It's going to be another great show!

Tategoi
    Mike did the show get pushed ahead by a week.....normally the 1st weekend?

It has always been the second weekend of March.

Tategoi
    Brain fart, thinking it was the 1st weekend

Bill Story's Excellent Photos of CFKS 2014 . Central Florida Koi Show 2014

I was noticing Christmas decorations going up in stores. It's a bit early for me to be thinking of Holiday shopping, but then it occurred to me that with the wintry blast much of the eastern U.S. got this past weekend, it may not be too early for folks to begin planning a Spring vacation in Orlando to coincide with the show. Mid-March is a great time to be in Orlando. ....Think of it as a Christmas present to yourself.

Planning for the show is in gear. The full show committee, with representatives of all 5 sponsoring clubs, meets this weekend. As usual, there will be a lot on the agenda.

CFKS has become known in recent years for having some impressive awards, ceramic works made by artists observed at art festivals in the area. Different artists have been selected each year to make the awards. (It makes for great conversation to go to an art festival and meet the creator of a piece won at a past show.) This year something a bit different is up for approval. I think the committee will be wow'ed, but I can't let the cat out of the bag. Have to wait for the committee to give the greenlight. You may not enter koi in a show in order to get a trophy, but it is wonderful when the award is something you are pleased to have on display.

I'm expecting the show to be a stand out. Vendor interest is strong. In theory we have 48 vendor spaces, but in practice it becomes 45 spaces in order to keep aisleways functional, separate wet vendors from one another and have room for the raffle booth. Thus far, 28 spaces are taken and 2 are on hold awaiting year-end budget confirmations. With four months to go, it looks like a sell-out is in the works.

The Goldfish Show is getting a lot of attention, too. I'm told that it has become the largest in the country in terms of number of entries. A full seminar series is in the works once again. I'd like to reveal some details, but I'd be jumping the gun.

Updating the website has begun, so entry forms to show koi or goldfish will be available in a few weeks.

So, if you've started wondering about presents when walking through a store with tinsel getting hung, think 'Spring'.

MCA
    Its already in my and 2016 calendars.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Its already in my and 2016 calendars.
    Mine too Michael! Looking forward to seeing you and Toni down there! Patti will be helping Sherri out, so we are going down there for her this year. I don't have to judge, and can just enjoy the show!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    CFKS has become known in recent years for having some impressive awards, ceramic works made by artists observed at art festivals in the area. Different artists have been selected each year to make the awards. (It makes for great conversation to go to an art festival and meet the creator of a piece won at a past show.) This year something a bit different is up for approval. I think the committee will be wow'ed, but I can't let the cat out of the bag. Have to wait for the committee to give the greenlight. You may not enter koi in a show in order to get a trophy, but it is wonderful when the award is something you are pleased to have on display.
    Here are a few photos of work by the artist we are using for awards this year. His name is Ray Cannata and he creates beautiful wood artwork. Each piece is carved/turned from a single piece of wood from the center of a tree. The finish that is applied takes a month to complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central florida koi show 2015-cannata_06.jpg   Central florida koi show 2015-cannata_10.jpg  

MCA
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    Here are a few photos of work by the artist we are using for awards this year. His name is Ray Cannata and he creates beautiful wood artwork. Each piece is carved/turned from a single piece of wood from the center of a tree. The finish that is applied takes a month to complete.

Excellent choice!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast