Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeM
  • 1 Post By KK.Menon
  • 1 Post By KK.Menon
  • 1 Post By KK.Menon
  • 1 Post By KK.Menon

Thread: Two spawnings in my little pond.

Two spawnings in my little pond.

Two spawnings in my little pond.-fry-9320.jpgTwo spawnings in my little pond.-fry-9328.jpgTwo spawnings in my little pond.-fry-9334.jpg It appears to be that I have had two different spawnings in my little koi pond. I only have 2 koi and a comet I had for a short time another koi but he died not long ago. But it is possible that these are some of his spawn. I first notice this boogers swimming two nights ago. This evening I scooped up a jar full and it appears that there are two differnt sizes.. Do you know what Im looking at?
    p.s.
    These fish are only two seasons old. so I was Very surprised and I only introduced two fingerlings in this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two spawnings in my little pond.-fry-9344.jpg  

Fry will grow at dramatically different rates. So, the two sizes doesn't mean there were two spawnings. But, could have been. Koi and goldfish can hybridize, too. It doesn't happen regularly, but can. Have fun seeing how the mystery unfolds.
    Tammy Lynn likes this.

I really am amazed it happened at all. I just expanded the pond only by a little bit in June. Made it deeper dug it to 3 ft, and about 3 ft longer. But I have plenty of aeration . Any ways. Life finds a way don't it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two spawnings in my little pond.-image.jpg  

Apparently I had culled a bunch a couple weeks ago. I was cleaning my biobox filter and I found tons of what I thought was really big bug larvae .. I'm guessing it was at the attachment phase. I always thought larvae and eggs needed a ton of aeration. These were hanging out in what I would consider the waste bucket. Still puzzled by all of this.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Lynn View Post
    Apparently I had culled a bunch a couple weeks ago. I was cleaning my biobox filter and I found tons of what I thought was really big bug larvae .. I'm guessing it was at the attachment phase. I always thought larvae and eggs needed a ton of aeration. These were hanging out in what I would consider the waste bucket. Still puzzled by all of this.
    might be those guys got sucked in and got stuck .... That's why fry ponds have very carefully designed filters, well at least the drains have good sieves on them
    Tammy Lynn likes this.

Nisai
    Life always finds it own ways ...Good shots
    Tammy Lynn likes this.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Fry will grow at dramatically different rates. So, the two sizes doesn't mean there were two spawnings. But, could have been. Koi and goldfish can hybridize, too. It doesn't happen regularly, but can. Have fun seeing how the mystery unfolds.
    Tammy ,Well wouldn't it be cool if there was hybridization something like these
    Attachment 39736
    Tammy Lynn likes this.

Nisai
    Well here is a good article on Koi and Comet Hybridization

http://www.koi-rescue.com/koi-ponds/adopted-hybrid-koi-goldfish/
    Tammy Lynn likes this.

It would be fun. My father in law says that has never happened to him but he is always messing with his pond and I think he has a ton of comets and feeds them every other day. We will see. It looks like some are going to have markings so my little checkers might have spawn though he is gone.