Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tosai "baby" koi vs tiny "bonsai" koi

Looks like this discussion is winding down. I wanted to get the responders to think about how different these two examples of finalists for baby champion would be in confirmation. A tosai is by definition a very immature koi. Beyond the normal conformation proportions (larger head and fins vs body) the skin is still very immature/thin as are the color pigment layers vs a slower grown older koi. In America we tend to see mostly baby koi in the smaller sizes with the occasional stunted koi. In Japan there are hobbyists that specialize in winning Baby Champ at major shows. One well known ZNA judge has won dozens of All Japan show Baby Champion awards. He keeps several hundred small koi in a small crowded pond and feeds very sparingly. Most of his best "baby" candidates for top shows are sansai or even yonsai. It is easier and more common for 3-4 year old koi especially males to become finished with strong color development and more mature complex skin with higher concentrations of color and reflective pigments than for this to have occurred in a tosai. Since it is much more rare and unique for a tosai to be able to produce thick finished pigments in thinner immature skin and have multiple quality elements come together at a young age I would lean towards rewarding that achievement with the top award.
    Tosai_Sunny likes this.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Nisai
    Ray , IMOO they should be judged in separate categories,,, I am given to understand that there is no currently no category for Bonsai in ZNA ,But if people like you support the idea , then it just might happen .... Tosai's get their rewards too and both can be appreciated as they are meant to be

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Looks like this discussion is winding down. I wanted to get the responders to think about how different these two examples of finalists for baby champion would be in confirmation. A tosai is by definition a very immature koi. Beyond the normal conformation proportions (larger head and fins vs body) the skin is still very immature/thin as are the color pigment layers vs a slower grown older koi. In America we tend to see mostly baby koi in the smaller sizes with the occasional stunted koi. In Japan there are hobbyists that specialize in winning Baby Champ at major shows. One well known ZNA judge has won dozens of All Japan show Baby Champion awards. He keeps several hundred small koi in a small crowded pond and feeds very sparingly. Most of his best "baby" candidates for top shows are sansai or even yonsai. It is easier and more common for 3-4 year old koi especially males to become finished with strong color development and more mature complex skin with higher concentrations of color and reflective pigments than for this to have occurred in a tosai. Since it is much more rare and unique for a tosai to be able to produce thick finished pigments in thinner immature skin and have multiple quality elements come together at a young age I would lean towards rewarding that achievement with the top award.
    So it would seem that the uniqueness is more in a tosai drowning in a sea of stunted mature koi :-) The degree of difficulty of getting a tosai to look as nice is more difficult to achieve, and that in itself earns marks in judging. Nice to know that at this level, koi appreciation is more than just skin deep. There is a lot of thought given to the journey than just arriving to the destination.
    KK.Menon likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123