Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing up with baby Gold Carp - What are they?

Growing up with baby Gold Carp - What are they?

Silly and curious topic. But I think it would be cool to see truly golden koi (like platinum).

I remember when I was little, playing with some gold colored carp/koi. Although they did have a grey tinge on their backs, they were truly golden throughout. I was just looking at a few Japanese art pieces that I have hanging in my Tatami room and noticed that they have golden koi on them. One of my pieces even shows a golden kohaku koi. Makes me wonder if even possible with current cross-breeding.

Yamabuki Ogon isn't gold enough?

I was thinking more like 24 karat gold.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    The only truly "golden" koi (used loosely for lack of a better term), are when koi cross-breed with goldfish.....some with barbels and some without....but all the same "golden" colour, ever any pattern, never any other color, at least when this happened to us, again, if I can find a picture I will post it....

Nisai
    Once upon a time (back in the “olden” days) I had what might be called a golden matsuba – and it was all koi, not a goldfish cross. I had purchased the koi as tosai from breeder, John Lockerman, of Jacksonville, FL. The fish was a truly metallic gold in color, with each scale perfectly surrounded by a really inky black sumi. The head, however, was not clean. I was hoping that the head would improve, as the fish aged. Unfortunately, when the fish was about half-grown, a great blue heron found my pond and I discovered the fish, dead on the pool deck, having been speared through the head by the heron. It was about 20 inches long and too big for the bird to swallow. Too bad – I still miss that fish. I’ve never seen another like it.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Stone View Post
    Once upon a time (back in the “olden” days) I had what might be called a golden matsuba – and it was all koi, not a goldfish cross. I had purchased the koi as tosai from breeder, John Lockerman, of Jacksonville, FL. The fish was a truly metallic gold in color, with each scale perfectly surrounded by a really inky black sumi. The head, however, was not clean. I was hoping that the head would improve, as the fish aged. Unfortunately, when the fish was about half-grown, a great blue heron found my pond and I discovered the fish, dead on the pool deck, having been speared through the head by the heron. It was about 20 inches long and too big for the bird to swallow. Too bad – I still miss that fish. I’ve never seen another like it.
    Got me thinking....for some reason I got stuck on the "ghost koi" and could not get it out of my head....and if this is what you were thinking of, this pic is from 2011 in Atlanta....

Growing up with baby Gold Carp - What are they?-joe_hatfield_001.jpg

Nisai
    [QUOTE=DaleRG;214742]Got me thinking....for some reason I got stuck on the "ghost koi" and could not get it out of my head....and if this is what you were thinking of, this pic is from 2011 in Atlanta....

Close - except my fish had the metallic gold at the center of each scale, and the bordering black was shiny black, giving the impression of a fish like a gold coin, whereas the pictured koi gives me the impression of a silver coin. As I said, I've never seen another like it - before or since. Too bad I don't have photos.

So they do exist! I knew my memory wasn't fading (yet). Somewhere, somehow someone must have a cool example. The hunt is on. I just think it would be a cool fad to start up. Golden Koi! Can you imagine a pond full of shining babies... Get a few mating pairs, I would give it a go with really nothing to lose and everything to gain...haha.

Thanks for the post and pics guys.

Anybody else know of or have a GOLDEN koi?

tosai for sale

Growing up with baby Gold Carp - What are they?-grow_2010_1562.jpg

Andrew's Koi 2010

Nisai
    So they do exist! I knew my memory wasn't fading (yet). Somewhere, somehow someone must have a cool example. The hunt is on. I just think it would be a cool fad to start up. Golden Koi! Can you imagine a pond full of shining babies... Get a few mating pairs, I would give it a go with really nothing to lose and everything to gain...haha.

Anybody else know of or have a GOLDEN koi?
    The breeder of my golden koi is also a friend, who helped in getting my swimming pool water converted to pond water, way back in 1996. (He provided a start-up of daphnia and rotifers, plus a bucketful of his “good” pond water, to inoculate with the best kinds of algae. Which may be part of the reason there has never been an infestation of string algae in the main pond.) He told me, once, what the two breeder koi were, which produced a golden baby. I think one of them was a matsuba, although I don’t remember the color. I’ll don’t have his current number, but I’ll try to contact him and maybe he’ll give a clue as to where to get started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast