Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Breeders and bloodlines with regard to shimis

Tosai

Breeders and bloodlines with regard to shimis

Hi.

Hopefully some of you knowledgable guys could give me some facts here? I have a great Sakuma Kohaku - owned for two years - which has just sprung a couple of shimis. I don't think I'll have another Sakuma again. I have managed to keep my gang of Kohaku's shimi free for a few years now - assuming that keeping them shimi free is something we can contribute to! I'm not convinced this is the full picture though. I believe that mainly it is down to genetics.

So to try and avoid future disappointment, I'd like to try and identify any breeders who's Kohaku stand out and have great track records as shimi resistant. And indeed, amongst those breeders, which bloodlines would have the best chance of remaining shimi free.

Do any of you guys have experience here? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Dave.

This is a difficult subject. I think you are correct that genetics is at the root of whether shimmies will show up in certain environmental conditions. Individual experiences, however, are not necessarily representative. Personally, I have not had any Japanese-bred Kohaku not develop shimmies by the 5th year. Of domestic-bred Kohaku, I have had just one develop a shimmy and it was just a speck. Bad luck on my part? A friend in town does not have nearly the bad experience I've had.

My worst experience has been with Maruyama Kohaku. One in her 9th year finally got to be shown last March. I got her as a nisai becoming sansai, and she developed her first shimmy within a couple of weeks of going in my pond. They came and went, large and small, continuously. Then, in 2013, the shimmies went away for no identified reason. I entered her in our show last March to take advantage of the window of opportunity before the shimmies came back. She won the Jumbo prize, which made me very proud of her even though she is well past her peak. So, would I never again buy a Maruyama Kohaku? Perhaps not, because of the one isolated experience. But, that means I would miss out on the Kohaku of one of the best Kohaku breeders in Japan. BTW, so far no shimmies have returned. And, my water parameters are no different now than they have been the past 9 years.

Another factor to keep in mind is that many breeders in Niigata are using different bloddlines now than they used prior to 2004. After the 2004 earthquake, many brought in new oyagoi from the southern breeders to replace ones lost in the disaster. So, anything said about a particular breeder based on Kohaku on the market prior to, say, 2006, may have nothing to do with what is produced today.