Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fines- Do Fish Poop Fines?

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Homer,

A few questions. Under the ERIC system, is the settlement and the brush filter and jap mats located in one chamber? I recall you showing me the setup, and I've since wondered why I don't see a separate sump/settlement chamber.

How did you seal the bottom of the brushes? Do you stick a brush horizontally across the chamber bottom? I do this and it helps but wonder if there's a better way I haven't thought of.

Glad to hear of success you're having with the use of air curtains. Actually, it was from you I got the idea. You know how debris accumulates under an air stone? I was thinking along that line but instead of an air stone it would be air tubes like what you have. It would be a gentle air curtain that won't buoy up the debris and create fines, which as you know would be a showstopper. What are your thoughts?

As for baffles, I'm not very much in line with using k1 media though. I think that with k1 in place, it would narrow the passage of water and cause the linear velocity to speed up and create turbulence. This may have the effect of breaking up the waste, and also agitates the bottom and cause particles to scurry upwards. But I could be wrong...

I rather have baffles that would act as a gentle barrier to coax an undecided particle from floating up. It would have to be spaced far apart to prevent channel restrictions that would create turbulence. If the baffle would create turbulence, it would be counterproductive and I would be better off without it.

By the way, I'm seeing that after a week of not cleaning my brush filter I am finding that I have to double up the rate at which I clean my 1000-micron sock nets at the 3 transfer pipe inlets to the biofilter chamber. This indicates the waste particles caught by the brush filter are breaking down much more rapidly. This means a weekly brush filter cleaning at a minimum is a must. Experiencing firsthand the effects on skipping cleaning puts more emphasis on the "must."
    In an ERIC setup there is only one chamber where the sump, brushes and mats are combined. Since the opening from brush to bio mats has little restriction, the flow of water does not channel much.

I use an air hose to create small continuous bubble for an air curtain. With regards to my brush design, it is designed to be pulled at one time and allow for disconnection of rows. At the bottom, I place a more tightly packed three rows of brushes horizontally because the suction of the airhose creates an upward current of water. By tightly packing brushes at the bottom I end up preventing this effect.

As water is a natural solvent, all bio degradable waste will eventually degrade in water. If you have a very long throw filtration system fines will allow to settle and you can keep your water clear BUT clear water does not mean good water. I knew of a hobbyist with a 200 ton pond with a 60 ton filtration system composed of a thousand brushes as prefilter and numerous matts. Water was very clear and the few koi grew very large very fast. However, the change in water was very very little a day at most only 4% a month and the time to clean the filter (which took the whole day to do) was far and between. Many of the koi always had health issues after some time.

Yes, the bottom horizontally lying filter brushes help keep much of the waste from slipping through the bottom. Glad to know we're on the same page there.
    As for the air curtains, I think it has a good effect by keeping wastes at the bottom, making them settle. The bubbles create a current of water ggoinv upwards. This current runs perpendicular to the ongoing current in the chamber. The effect is an eddy is created which allows water to slow down in an area. This is where solids will be allowed to settle.

I realize now why my waste settlement has so much improved that I now see much much less solids being trapped by my brushes. Not by design but by serendipity I have created conditions in my sump where eddies develop and cause so much waste to settle. Every time I siphon off those wastes, I keep thinking holy cow, so much shit to scoop lol. And the siphon makes the scooping so much easily done.

Now I feel that when I can confirm that the heavy lifting has been taken care of by a very effective and space-efficient settlement system, the mechanical filtration won't have to shoulder a disproportionate burden. I could go back to the thread on mechanical filtration under Pond Construction. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12