Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: modern pond

modern pond

Water mirror and modern pond 90m³

Nice video. The pond: Austere (to the point of not any fish?). Straight lines set in glistening metal and shiny plastic and cast concrete. To my eye the pond, building and grounds are more “retro” than “modern”, more 1970’s than 2010s. Not to say I don’t like it, I do. I like neat and clean lines, the water mirroring structure and sky. But a “modern” pond would “go eco” and the lines would be counter intuitive and soaring with heisei nishiki swimming In the sun.

Nice. This kind of design is making a strong comeback. New houses in the Philippines are made along these lines. To me it is a blend of Bauhaus sensibilities and a Zen spirituality framed in practical considerations. The modern is in the lack of wood made from giant trees, a luxury taken for granted in the past, and clean lines reflect the manufactured composite nature of material availability. The loss of costly and skilled craftsmen makes it cinvenient for architects and designers to justify their art in terms of being clean but natural curves are lost in the muted sterility of it. I wonder if there is a pond design that reflects the Flash Gordon era of art deco. Anybody seen one?

This appears for all the world like a swimming pool that has been converted to a koi pond (if not, it's now the first koi pond I've seen with a permanent ladder installed). Perhaps the gentlemen in the video discussed this in detail, but sadly, I do not speak French. I also like the look of the super clean lines and especially the relatively smooth, glass like surface, though I could discern a slight 'ruffling' at times, no doubt attributable to the well hidden filtration system.

I've often wondered about the details of designing and building a koi pond where a 'mirror' surface is a key element. One would think special consideration would have to be made to how to maintain healthy fish and a well filtered pond, perhaps aerating the water out of sight and then returning it close to the bottom of the pond to provide well oxygenated water with a minimum of disturbance to the surface itself.

Having also been an admirer of the 'negative space' in a pond -- that part NOT occupied by fish, I really like the understated look the viewer first glimpses at about the 4:42 mark in this video. It's simply personal taste of course, but a small handful of large, beautiful koi gliding effortlessly through a large expanse of empty, mirror smooth water is very zen-like, calming and attractive. This versus a 'busy' pond, full of frantic, dodging and darting koi, even if they are all superb show specimens.

any way, thanks for the answers

My goal is to show watt I see, after you appreciate or not the type of pond is not important, but a reaction positive or negative is a success, no reaction is indifference and indifference is loosed project

thanks again for your reactions

Patrick

Patrick: Even when no response is posted, your videos are a success. Keep it up!

I am surprised that the water mirror is not chlorinated. But it goes to show you how opportunistic algae is. I bet the pond would growth a monster plecostomus.

Thanks for posting.

In general... I feel your videos are too long.