Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fading Hi

How big are the pellets you are feeding them and what kind? The reason why I ask is because large pellets make tosai's short and stubby.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    How big are the pellets you are feeding them and what kind? The reason why I ask is because large pellets make tosai's short and stubby.
    Hmm......any particular explanation why pellet size should have this effect?

Maybe Not Fading After All??

Well, several weeks have gone by since the pictures above were taken. Here is the little fellow today, now over 11".
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004 at 12:58 PM. Reason: add pic

A few isolated scales that had weak Hi in July are now white, but no significant loss of Hi since then. He is growing well, and despite that the Hi is more intense now than 6 weeks ago. It is not the solid, deep Hi I would like to see, but I'm starting to think that SMG's instincts were right. Maybe the Hi has stopped fading. Hope so. I like inazuma patterns.

What is the temp of the pond these fish are being reared in? How much shade does the pond have? What is the feed you are feeding?

Since Hurricane Charley went through, it has been full sun for nearly 7 hours per day, with water temps rising to mid-80sF most days. On a couple of scorching days I measured 88F at 4pm. If storms come thru mid-afternoon, temps are in low 80sF. Before Charley, full shade with some filtered sun, and water temps were usually rising to 78-80F. They receive a mix of pellets, primarily a sinking 50+% protein pellet "Niigata Breeders' Blend" imported in bulk, and a couple of other pellets over 35% protein used to vary nutrient sources. Earthworm treats most weekends, but the tosai can't compete with the big guys for those. Not eating as much since temps rose above 80F.

Erased because a duplicate post
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004 at 01:01 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Daihonmei
    Mike
    You're on a helluva roller cosater with that inazuma. Are you coming tot he Tampa show this week end. henry C and I are going to bring our "project fish. You bring yours too. Maybe twiggy will bring his...the slackard..

Hi Luke. Unless Hurricane Jeanne gets in my way, I'll be at the Tampa Show. But, I'm not bringing the little Sanke. Too much stress lately. My fish have overcome the nervousness that followed Hurricane Charley, but I'd like the little guy (male, I think) to keep quiet. He suffered a puncture-type wound in Charley that is healing. I do not want to risk anything.

Maybe I will get a chance to take update photos this weekend. I'm pleased how he is developing. The Hi is intensifying and he is growing nicely. The loss of shade around the pond has caused increased algae growth on the pond walls/bottom. There is so much extra glarf, that I've begun doing two 10% water changes during the week as well as my 50% change on Saturdays. That, plus far fewer leaves getting in the pond (since the tree cover is gone) has resulted in nitrates being below the reliable sensitivity of my test kit. The little guy has responded well, putting on more growth in the past 6 weeks than I'd have ever thought. I'd guess he is now reaching 13", but that's just a guess. Need to measure. More interesting is that the Hi is looking pretty decent despite the growth ... no change in food, except for 2 fasting periods during the 'canes when all they got was the algae on the pond walls.

Hope to see you Saturday.

Nisai
    Ya know guys, I was really hoping that we would be able to bring our Sanke and make some comparisons, but from what I am seeing of this hurricane today, I don't think I will be making it. I know that Henry is going to call the Tampa club sometime today and see what they are planning (postponing or not) and then making his decision as to whether to come. Since the show isn't till Sunday, it really puts us on the East Coast in a bad position. I REALLY hate not being able to support this show and heating up our Tosai competition a little, but I can't risk leaving the family in harms way or trying to drive back "into" a hurricane towing a trailer either. For the latest on the hurricane, check out;

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/..._gif_full.html

Rod L.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast