Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fading Hi

I finally got around to taking some updated photos. The little guy is a Torazo-bred tosai Sanke recently acquired. It is supposedly 9.5", but I have to say that it was only just 9" when I tried to measure ... but, I do not have a measuring tank & the little one does not like being bowled. The bigger fellow is now approaching 14" according to my measuring tape, but let's recognize that my measure may not be precise.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-12-2004 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add pic

Here are some more pics.

He received a puncture wound on his left flank in mid-August during Hurricane Charley. It has healed over, but some scales were lost. The one photo of that side shows it somewhat, but the angle is poor. Looks worse in person.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add pics

The Hi on the bigger fellow is still playing tricks on my eyes. I do not believe the edges are fading away any more, but there remain some isolated red scales that are fading very slowly. I find it curious that the Hi has been deepening despite the growth this guy has put on. Looking closely, you can see that the Hi is stretched, but is definitely becoming red, rather than the orange of last June. ... I wish his nose was not so yellow!

Looking at the two together is a curiosity. The Torazo "tosai" was most likely hatched in May 2003 and spent last winter in greenhouse ponds. The McCann "tosai" was hatched in August 2003 and left outdoors during the winter of 2003-04. The Torazo would have been quite a bit larger than the McCann last Spring when it was imported, but it stayed in a dealer's inventory and quarantine from May 2004 until 8 days ago. I think it will be interesting to see if the Torazo can put on a growth spurt in the next 3 months before they get a month long fast in January. Elsewhere in the U.S. Fall is coming on strong, with evening temps dropping considerably. Here in my area of Florida it is finally "cooling" to daytime high temperatures in the mid-80sF. Pond water is in the low 80sF by late afternoon, and in mid-70s at night .... perfect growing temps. The McCann is Matsunosuke bloodline. I am uncertain about the Torazo, but have read that Matsunosuke is mixed into their breeding. I'll never know how distantly related these two might be.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-12-2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: conversion altered a smilie, so corrected typo resulting

Erased duplicate post. Instead, here is a photo of the pond on August 14.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Substitute photo for duplicate post

I'm replacing another double post with more pics ... I'm enjoying this editing control.

It was tough to move around, but at least one door was not blocked by debris. It's the price paid for living with trees.

Once the big stuff was moved, could get to the pond. No filtration, so the koi hovered near the surface ... kinda wondering why there were plants in the pond?

So, for those who asked how a storm caused a puncture wound, that's the answer.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Replace double post with more photos

The more I look at the Hi of the two Sanke, the more I see similarities in the Hi of the Torazo Sanke and the Hi of the red-headed one that died on August 14. The edges of the Hi plates of the two I now have are alike in character, but not the Hi itself. Perhaps the Hi on the Torazo will look more like that on the McCann Sanke as it stretches, but I don't think it will. The darkish center on each scale of the McCann Sanke is distinguishing. A different Hi, I think, than typically comes out of Matsunosuke.... and different than the others in the McCann spawning I've seen pictured. A throwback genetically, I'm supposing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    The little guy is a Torazo-bred tosai Sanke recently acquired. It is supposedly 9.5", but I have to say that it was only just 9" when I tried to measure ... but, I do not have a measuring tank & the little one does not like being bowled. The bigger fellow is now approaching 14" according to my measuring tape, but let's recognize that my measure may not be precise.
    Are you questioning my ability to measure Koi? When the Koi came in from Ray, I measured each using Rod's measuring tub. That tosai measured 24cm which is 9.5". Yes, that little tosai does not like being handled at all, so it can be a real b***h to measure it.

Ah, Henry, if you measured, it has to be 9.5". .... Makes me think the inazuma has reached 14".

Daihonmei
    Mike,
    What with you dumping shrubbery in the pond and not keeping the pond running a going out a glaring at the poor fishie AND still being able to get it to 14 inches already.......I bet you're glad I talked you into up-ing your guess on what the largest one will be.
    My rat koi is about all of 9 inches....but he's not near as ugly as he was.

So, Luke, you were the one. I recall someone said my guess of what would be the longest was timid. So, I upped it & turned in a fairly aggressive length. I do not think mine will reach what I put down, but he is not out of the running yet. I've seen HenryC's & I think it is ahead a bit. There are some others in the project who have not spoken up, who are truly experienced. If I was closer to St Augustine, I'd take him to the N. Florida show in Nov. to compare with the progress of others, but given the distance I doubt I will. I'm still concerned about the wound and avoiding stress. .... The speed I drive could stress anything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast