Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Harvest Time at Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm: Oct. 2-7, 2014

Harvest Time at Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm: Oct. 2-7, 2014

This year NKF will be harvesting a pond per day over a 6-day period beginning October 2 and going through October 7. The pull begins at around 9am each morning. Harvested koi are sorted and inspected while in viewing tanks, and then settled into their greenhouse ponds. Throughout the day, there is much talk among attendees and with the breeder, Mat McCann, about the koi harvested, their parentage, breeding goals, etc., etc. It does not cost anything to attend, but folks do get tempted to make acquisitions. (But, harvested koi are not available to take home for an extended period of time. They need to acclimate and be observed to confirm good health, etc. Other koi are often available for those needing an immediate purchase.)

I've been going since 2006. Hard to believe this will be the 9th year I've attended. It would be great to do all 6 days, but I'll just attend the Friday thru Sunday pond pulls. Somewhere along the way I'll pick Mat's brain on atarashi sumi development, and a few other topics. There is always some new development in his breeding that leaves me wondering about something.... often to the point that I don't even know what to ask.

Quality Koi Company, Inc.
    104 East Quillytown Road
    Penns Grove, NJ 08069
    USA

Every year I encourage folks to attend a harvest. It is a great koi experience. For those in the Mid-Atlantic region or Northeastern U.S., the Quality Koi harvest is going to be the most convenient. Those close to Louisiana should consider Purdin Koi. In the mid-west, there is Kloubec Koi. If there is no breeder nearby, perhaps there is a dealer who has raised up Japanese-bred koi to a larger size. That type of event may not be the same as a breeder's harvest, but it has a great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Some place around this Fall, there is a spot for you to get some mud on your shoes.

I have lots of fond memories of attending Nisei Koi farm's harvests as well as Purdin's. I heard from the Olson's that they intend to attend as well as their usual trip to see Toshio Sakai and INC.
    I have hopes this year of attending The Kleinholz Koi farm harvest in Oklahoma. dates yet to be confirmed. I have 6 koi coming out of the mud.
    3 sansei ( kindai showa, Bekko, sanke) and 3 nisei ( sankes and kohaku)
    It's a special event that one looks forward to every year.

Looking forward to making the drive down to S jersey in Oct.

Tri-State and Potomac have nisai that will be coming out this fall. Lots of our members have koi in the mud and are eagerly awaiting the day they are harvested.

Time me to start planning some days off....

Glad you mentioned Kleinholz Koi Farm, Dick. They have joined the small circle of U.S. koi farms trying for quality rather than just bulk production. Definitely a good choice for folks in the area to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There is always some new development in his breeding that leaves me wondering about something.... often to the point that I don't even know what to ask.
    I hear ya on that!

Toshio at INC has been over his lifetime, quite the innovator when it comes to things new, most recently, like the new sumi and the marusome sumi. One of the varieties he originated and no longer breeds ( that I wish he would) is a green koi with a goromo pattern.

I also love talking with breeders to find out what's new.

Well after telling my wife I would like to go to Nisei Koi Farm pond pull in October, she scheduled a trip to her sister, who lives 21 miles from NKF. Guess I'm driving the 1000 miles and commuting 21 miles on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Mike, I'll see you there.

Great, Darrell! ...The planning challenge is that you can't be sure if it will be chilly or warm the first weekend in October. The one thing you can count on is there will be mud.

Talked with Kurt at Kleinholz.....November First and Second is the harvest dates for their farms. Got a few pictures for a sneak preview of what they bred this year. very nice! So while have something to anticipate for the next two months

The weather for next weekend's 'main event' harvest looks great.... daily highs from 68F to 75F, with nighttime lows in the 50sF. It's still upper 80s and low 90sF here, except when rain lowers the high temp to the low 80s.

BTW, Duc has posted elsewhere that the TriState and Potomac ZNA clubs' grow-outs at Quality Koi are getting pulled tomorrow. So, if you can't make the 'main event', you can enjoy some mud tomorrow morning. Apparently Duc has a Sanke that will be available (if I understand correctly). And, this year's 555s are getting pulled.... I'll miss seeing my little Kohaku coming out of the mud. Perhaps somebody can report on 'her'???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast