Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 ZNA NorCal Young Koi Show - October 5, 2014

2014 ZNA NorCal Young Koi Show - October 5, 2014

I'm very excited to share the news about the 2014 ZNA NorCal Young Koi show. It will be held on Sunday October 5, at Nathan's place.

This is an one day show from 8AM to 6PM. Koi under 22", which will be entering under 4 groups size 1, 2, 3 and 4.

The following awards will be awarded:

Grand Champion
    Reserved Grand Champion
    Young Champion
    Baby Champion
    Best-In-Size 1
    Best-In-Size 2
    Best-In-Size 3
    Best-In-Size 4
    Tategoi Award

Judging will begin around 10:00AM. The judges will be our own local ZNA fellow judges.
    Head Judge: Larry Gill
    Assistant Judges: Erwin Santos and Gary Chin

Thanks to the club president, Dr. David Tran and the young koi show committee for pulling this off. It will be fun and very education event indeed.

This is for club members only, but hey folks, don't worry. you just need to sign up for a ZNA NorCal membership and you are on. That is it, OK.

Best,
    --Dinh

I enjoy young fish shows. I started one locally 17 years ago. What has been an interesting observation over the last 5 years is that more competitive koi appear in the shows in the larger sizes. I believe it's because people slowed their purchases of younger koi and kept with the ones from before. I hope your show and others encourage the purchase of smaller fish again to get the show size categories more in balance. Kudos on the stature of your local judges!

Same here Dick. Still enjoy the young koi show as much as enjoyed raising koi from Tosai.
    Having a young koi show, it will bring the joy for members as well as non-members and hoping them to join the club as well.

Looking forward to seeing all koi kichies, especially the koi kichies from SF Bay Area.

--Dinh

Good for NorCal.... Having a Young Koi Show in the Fall and the big show in the Spring. That's way to keep the show excitement going!

A one day young koi show is so much less work! The Orlando club tried it once. Set-up would have taken no more than one morning except we had to use a garden hose to fill tanks. Our problem in keeping it going was that those willing to do the work didn't have koi small enough to enter. I think we had 20 inches as the maximum. Koi acquired as nisai in the Spring were too long by Fall. That's what happens with our long growing season. Most new acquisitions are made by March and have good growing conditions for a full 6 months before show time. Many of those with koi small enough did not care about showing. So, it was a one-time thing. But, folks who came had fun.

Remember the first ZNA NorCal's show was the Young Koi Show indeed and the "Young Koi and Raising Young Koi Seminar" was presented by the late Ray Jordan.

ZNA NorCal has planned for young show by doing the club Tosai GO in the last few years. So we will have a lot of goodies for the show including Danichi, Isa, and Momotaro for size 1 to 4. Will be fun...

Best,
    --Dinh

sounds like a fun show...

It will be fun Dan. Hope you can make it to our 2014 young koi show. Otherwise, looking forward to seeing you at the ZNA NorCal show here in San Jose.

Best,
    --Dinh

well, just a week from today folks. Next Sunday will be the day. Looking forward to seeing you all. Wow, there will be cash awards.... Here is a message from the Club President.

Greetings,

Just a quick update and a gentle reminder that our young koi show is next sunday october 5. Please note that there is a change of location. We are pleased to inform you that it will be hosted by Tom Lai @ Champion Koi. Tom and his staffs will help us set up with water and air for this one day event. Thank you Tom. Also thank you to Nick, Son (ReaganKoi) and Nathan for lending out their tubs as show tanks for this young koi show. Here is a quick run down:

Date : October 5, 2014
    Time : 8 am to 3 pm

Check in time is 8 am to 10 am. Judging will begin 10:00 am. Lunch is right after judging around 1pm (lunch is provided by Long Vo, thank you Long).
    Awards ceremony is around 2-3 pm. Clean up is immediately right after awards ceremony.

There will be 9 cash awards given out ( best in size 1-4, baby champ, young champ, runner up champ, grand champ and best tategoi)

Size 1 (under 10")
    Size 2 (10"-14")
    Size 3 (14"-18")
    Size 4 (18"-22")

The show tanks are 4 foot tubs so 3 to 4 koi per tub is recommended. You are welcome to bring more but you should sign up for additional tanks.

The judging team consists of Larry Gill, Erwin Santos and Gary Chin.

This should be a very fun event, friendly competitions among our members. Any questions or inputs please email me directly. Have a great weekend and see you all next sunday.

Happy koi Keeping,

David Tran

Sansai
    Ohhhhhhh I have 22 inchers wish I would have known earlyer

Quote Originally Posted by rekoil10000 View Post
    Ohhhhhhh I have 22 inchers wish I would have known earlyer
    NorCal loves your koi. Bring them down dude.

--D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast