Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Narita Koi Food, Or, Why Sell Koi When Profit Is In Feeding Them?

Narita Koi Food, Or, Why Sell Koi When Profit Is In Feeding Them?

It seems to me that every koi business these days is getting into koi food. And, why not? For koi breeders and dealers, the food they use is one of the main operating expenses. You can save by purchasing bulk runs and then sell what they don't need for themselves.

Mark Gardner reports that Narita is the latest into the koi food business, with a new food being trialed now. The goal seems to be to advertise getting more growth than using Saki Hikari. Mark reports that Ryuki Narita says that over a 1 month trial, two identical 30 ton ponds were set up with 45 female nisai Kohaku, sized 35cm, from Matsue Koi Farm. After one month the Koi fed with the new "No1 Koi Food" were 30% heavier, 3cm longer and had better red colouration compared to the koi fed a mix of 50% Saki Hikari Color and 50% Saki Hikari Growth. The trial will continue for another 6 weeks or so. Narita is refining the food to 'make a very special Koi food'.

No information on the ingredients or nutritional analysis was given. I'm sure we will hear a lot about both when the time comes for it to be released on the market. I've no doubt that Narita-san knows how to launch a product to get a lot of attention. Anyone who can get around a quarter million dollars paid for a tosai Showa knows how to promote in the kichi market. And, it may be great product, too. ...Any bets on whether it will exceed $10 per pound?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ...Any bets on whether it will exceed $10 per pound?
    At price per pound, my koi already eat better than I do.....

I'd be happy if Santa stuffs a home kitchen koi pelletizer this Christmas.

thanks for the heads up Mike. Will be anxious to see the list of ingredience. maybe infa-red secret growth enducer,LOL. But seriously, besides the point break on pricing, they stil have to get it thru our regulations for importation. At some stage you can only cut the "pie" into smaller and smaller pieces for participants. We have already a pretty busy market place. keep us appraised

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    At price per pound, my koi already eat better than I do.....
    Yep! It really does seem ridiculous that koi food costs as much or more than steak. But, our koi would not be well-fed if we fed them steak. On another board some current pricing was gathered:

Hi Silk 44lb = $275 or $6.25/lb
    Saki Hikari Multi Season 33lb = $310 or $9.39/lb
    Saki Hikari Growth 33lb $245 or $7.42/lb
    FD HiGrowth 33lb $215 or $6.51/lb
    Mizuho HiGrowth sinking 33 lb/$225 or $6.82/lb
    Kodama Color Food 22lbs/$213.75 or $9.72/lb
    Kodama Wheat Germ 22lb/$171 or $7.77/lb
    Kenzen 40lb/$300 or $7.50/lb

But, these comparisons may not tell the real story. You also need to know shipping costs. Free shipping can make a real difference in out-of-pocket cost. It really helps to look for sales or show discounts. Some brands seem to be on sale somewhere all the time. Other brands are seldom on sale, perhaps only at shows. One brand not on that list is Tomigai. It's pricing is informative (and I learned the hard way, of course). It comes in 6lb boxes. If you order 30lbs, you get a big box containing five 6lb boxes. The cost is $280, which is $9.33/lb. But, if you get the 40lb 'craft bag', the cost is $276, or $6.90/lb. Get the bag at a show, and you may be able to get a 10% discount... the price becomes $6.225/lb. That's one-third off the per pound price compared to the standard 30lb box. So, you may end up paying less than $6.25/lb or over $9.25/lb for the same food. I don't mean to pick on Tomigai. The same sort of differences in costs are true for several brands and has nothing to do with expiration dates, etc. It does pay to check around or inquire if a discount can be given for larger orders.

It would be an interesting poll to see how many Koi Bito members pay on average over $6.00 a pound for Koi food vs. under $6.00 per pound.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    It would be an interesting poll to see how many Koi Bito members pay on average over $6.00 a pound for Koi food vs. under $6.00 per pound.
    It cost me much less than half of that. But I put my own blend of additives to boost its nutritional value and its digestibility. If I don't do that, I would probably be paying a lot more. I'm not making my own koi food, but simply adding stuff to make an existing commercial pellet better.

Back to the subject at hand, namely the possible importation of Narita koi food. I've been told gaining an import license to the US can be a daunting task. The fairly recent arrival of FD Foods here is a case in point. And FD is about as big as it gets in Japan when it comes to making koi and pet foods overall. The paperwork, alone, must be overwhelming. As you stated, Mike, the high-end market for koi food is certainly not unlimited in this country, and sadly, most likely getting smaller every year.

Wish them the best of luck.