Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: New Pond is finiely getting its shade of green

Nisai

New Pond is finiely getting its shade of green

Well its been a few weeks and the Bio filter is starting to kick in and the fish are doing good, no more jumpers well thanks to you guys and your input. When I saw the green tent and the fish are hard to see I knew the pond was going to be good.

It makes me feel good to see a new pond owner being happy over their water turning green. It's so often panic and questions about what can be added to the water to make it clear. It is part of the pond becoming established, with the greenwater algae protecting the koi from ammonia while the biofilm gets established. Biofilm can take a lot of abuse once established, but in the first months it can be a fragile home for the nitrifiers.

Just be attentive that the green does not get so thick that nothing can be seen. That risks oxygen deprivation, especially in high temperatures when the water cannot hold as much oxygen.

Nisai
    Tks I am watching it closely have a new UV light coming next week and you can see them at the 2' mark. I mite add a air pump today untill we get all in line.thanks again chris

If the pond clears up quickly it could be a PH crash. Monitor you PH and KH every week to make sure the numbers are good.

Nisai
    still holding 7.4 and all others are good slowly climbing

Nisai
    just tested PH is 8.4

Nisai
    your right I think its a PH crash pond is very green can see into about 10" I just installed my small 9wt UV light to help untill my bigger one arrives. this is freaking me out nitrate is up a little nitrite seems to have gone down almost to 0 , ammonia is still at .5 never changed. 8.4 ph was at night will test again in AM Alkalinity is around 40 i know this because I was in pools and thats are tap water

Have you added baking soda? The KH value should be 6 to 8 drops (over 100) to keep the PH stable. The green water will not hurt your fish but the ammonia will. Stop feeding for a few days and see if the ammonia drops. The Algae is feeding on the ammonia and until your bio filtration catches up you need to reduce feeding to a minimum. Nitrites will be the next thing you have to deal with. Have some 50 lb bags of salt ready if you do get a nitrite reading add the salt at 20 lbs per 1000 gallons. You want a salt level at .02% to help the fish deal with the nitrites. If you find a swing in PH from morning to evening of more than .5 its due to the lack of KH buffering. Add Baking soda to increase the KH value to the 6 to 8 drops. The PH swing will harm your fish over time. A PH crash is when the PH is below 6 and the water suddenly clears up.

Nisai
    PH has been the same morrning or night 8.4

Nisai
    New update on my pond. Its been 5 weeks now with some hot and some rain temps are starting to cool down here in the NW. My PH is holding at 7.4, Ammonia is at a low .25, Nitries at 0 and nitrates at 40+ so I think all is starting to work. Water is clear and fish seam to be happy. have started to feed only every 2-3 days now and only small amount. Babies have doubled in size too