Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Adding a new koi to an existing pond

Fry

Adding a new koi to an existing pond

A friend of mine has a very large in door pond. Many koi in the pond and he wants to give me 2. All seem healthy enough. This pond had no filtering system. Water is merky. I have a 12x 12 outdoor pond with a good filtering system. I have 5 koi in the pond all very healthy. I was going to take the 2 fish and just add them to my pond. Could this be risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas1 View Post
    A friend of mine has a very large in door pond. Many koi in the pond and he wants to give me 2. All seem healthy enough. This pond had no filtering system. Water is merky. I have a 12x 12 outdoor pond with a good filtering system. I have 5 koi in the pond all very healthy. I was going to take the 2 fish and just add them to my pond. Could this be risky.
    Its always somewhat risky to add new koi to any pond no mater where they come from. If you know the proper protocols to deal with potential bugs or other health issues you should be OK. Just watch the fish closely for anything that is out of the norm. Have Prazi and Proform C on hand. I am like may who do not have a quarantine tank and I have never had a problem but I get most of my koi from dealers who have a good reputation for clean fish.

Fry
    Thank you
    nick

Before I took koi from another hobbyist, I would need to know the hobbyist well and have confidence that the koi had never been exposed to KHV. There are only a few hobbyists I know well enough to have that level of confidence. I am likely more cautious than most folks. I basically assume all koi are KHV survivors unless I know otherwise.

Fry
    Thanks for the reply.
    Nick

It all depends on how much you have invested in you koi. Some have thousands of dollars invested and should be very cautious about any new fish. They should be quarantined for few months to make sure they are clean. If you are like me and only have a few hundred dollars in your koi the KHV is not as much of a problem. I have not heard of a KHV outbreak in a long time. I do not quarantine my new fish and never had a problem in the last 15 years. This is not to say that quarantining is not recommended, it is if you have the $$$ and space to construct a Qt tank.

Tosai
    It could be risky, although I haven't had any problems in that regard with the three I introduced. Any koi you introduce into the pond should be quarantined first, and you should have what you need on hand to deal with a sick fish. That's worked for me, at least.