Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2014 Auctions Continue.... Momotaro November 19

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    So, the Momotaro auction has been held. Want to guess how much it took to get the 'maybe best ever' nisai Showa? Well, it is reported to have gone for a record 26 million Japanese yen. (A record for a Momotaro auction. I do not know if it is a record sale price for a nisai. Who knows what a private placement prices are??) That is somewhere around $250,000 for a nisai. At least not as much of a gamble as a tosai. And, this was a koi with a future. I hope the buyer is not disappointed with what the future brings.

Dinh: Did you decide to bid?
    Well, currently no budget for koi.

Here is the mark of 26,000,000.00 Y
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Auctions Continue.... Momotaro November 19-dainichi-26000000.jpg  

A big congratulation
    But I can not visulize Maedo San selling his best nisai. I wonder what the best looks like and when will we see it
    Regards
    Eugene
    nivek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    A big congratulation
    But I can not visulize Maedo San selling his best nisai. I wonder what the best looks like and when will we see it
    Regards
    Eugene
    Another interesting point to note is the recent trend for breeders to rate kois with inconplete sumi as higher quality than those with solid sumi. The upcoming Dainichi auction is another good example.

The unusual pre-auction promotion of this one nisai, trumpeted all over Asia as probably the best Showa ever produced by Momotaro, tells me that Maeda wanted to top Dainichi's record tosai sale of last season. This Showa was the same age as that tosai is now. So, Momotaro very directly aimed at Dainichi and implicitly proclaimed his best Showa are better than Dainichi. It may have been his best Showa (at this time). I expect it will be staying at Momotaro to be raised up for showing.

Every breeder has a number one. Six months later, it may be number 3, with the former number 4 having developed strongly to become number 1. As good as a breeder can be in seeing subtle traits and visualizing how the koi will develop, they seldom are precisely correct. The top fish for the year is very likely among the top 5 the breeder would select. The ultimate top 5 are very likely among the top 12. Was this nisai the number one tosai last year?.... I doubt it. That former number one tosai may well still be at Momotaro as the number 4 nisai. In five years, when competing in the All-Japan as a seven year koi, which will be the better?

Do you think having a quarter million dollar nisai caused a bump in the prices of the tosai auctioned this time? I think Maeda knows how to get the wealthy to part with their money happily. And, it's a good thing he does. His competitive spirit has made it possible for everyone to have more beautiful koi. It's trickle-down economics at its best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12