Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2014 Auctions Continue.... Momotaro November 19

2014 Auctions Continue.... Momotaro November 19

This one is going to be a bit different. Momotaro's second auction of the season will be on November 19. There will be 2,000 'high class' tosai and just 20 'top grade' nisai. ....I'm thinking these nisai must be fairly special. Bidding starts at 1,000,000 yen. That means a bidder on the nisai has to be ready to spend something around $13,000 to cover commission, shipping, customs, etc. I guess that will make a thousand dollar tosai seem frugal.

Pictures are not yet posted.

Ok Mike. This time, you can have them all. Don't need to leave any koi for me.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

--Dinh

Photos and video of the 18 nisai being auctioned are now posted, and they are truly wonderful... the video and the koi. The tosai are not posted. With 2,000 tosai being auctioned, photography probably is not possible.

Momotaro is aiming high for this auction and promoting one nisai Showa very strongly:

"We have harvested many of our nisai now. So far this is our best nisai this year and maybe best one ever.
    This showa is 57cm and has a very good pattern with tsubo sumi. Baby of Black Dragon(KokuRyu) Nisai 57cm.
    We will enter this koi in our November auction."

You have to check out the video to see a true tategoi. She is all about the future. I've not seen Momotaro promote a single koi this way before. If I understand what is indicated correctly, she is being said to be the best out of 7 million fry. This is definitely another step in using the internet to reach over the heads of dealers to entice hobbyists to participate (through a dealer, of course), rather than relying on dealers to be the pitchmen.

....I wonder how many of the tosai will be 'full sibling' of this nisai out of Black Dragon?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    This showa is 57cm and has a very good pattern with tsubo sumi. Baby of Black Dragon(KokuRyu) Nisai 57cm.
    We will enter this koi in our November auction."
    Tsubo sumi on a showa no less.....

Quote Originally Posted by DaleRG View Post
    Tsubo sumi on a showa no less.....
    LOL. I read that, but was not thinking about it being used for a Showa. This may be the first time I've seen the term used in regard to a Showa.... Or, maybe I wasn't paying attention those other times either!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    LOL. I read that, but was not thinking about it being used for a Showa. This may be the first time I've seen the term used in regard to a Showa.... Or, maybe I wasn't paying attention those other times either!
    It would be interesting to note, if this usage tsubo is from the "younger" generation? I would be surprised if from the older, more traditional "set."

And yes, this is also the first time I have seen it used with regard to showa.

This attractive koi made the rounds on facebook by KoiBito Japan as the "greatest Showa" ever. Beautiful koi, possibly the "Greatest hyperbole " ever. Let her win at a few koi shows then heap on the accolades.

LOL.... Even Momotaro does not go that far. I think selling the dream has risen to a whole new level. At some point, you cross the line separating salesmanship and deception. With koi, and this koi in particular, it really is a matter of guessing her future. It may be the educated guess of a highly experienced person, or speculative flim-flam of the greedy. It's still a guess. Absent a guarantee, which no rational person would give, the buyer is buying a lottery ticket. Anyone who can afford to throw away the sum involved should get a lot of enjoyment from ride.

Here you go guys !!!!!

Okayama Momotaro-koi farm Congratulations!

--Dinh

So, the Momotaro auction has been held. Want to guess how much it took to get the 'maybe best ever' nisai Showa? Well, it is reported to have gone for a record 26 million Japanese yen. (A record for a Momotaro auction. I do not know if it is a record sale price for a nisai. Who knows what a private placement prices are??) That is somewhere around $250,000 for a nisai. At least not as much of a gamble as a tosai. And, this was a koi with a future. I hope the buyer is not disappointed with what the future brings.

Dinh: Did you decide to bid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast